Racing JGR selects Martin as fill-in for injured Hamlin

S

SCF Sports News

Veteran Mark Martin will drive the No. 11 Joe Gibbs Racing Sprint Cup car while Denny Hamlin recovers from a back injury, the team announced on Thursday.

More...

Great choice for JGR to have a pro like Mark Martin fill in for Denny Hamlin until he's able to race again. I wouldn't be surprised if Mark ran that 11 car up front, and in contention for a win every time he straps in that seat.

wow...Mark "hey I'm older than dirt" Martin?

Hope young Joey Logano remembers that Hamlin is NOT in the #11... if Logano bumps Martin, the ol' guy will have no problem getting him back!

Just surprised that they went with an older veteran... instead of one someone already in the JGR organization... Vickers? I don't like the Vickers, but I would think he would have been one of the top candidates.

NOTE: Before I take abuse for the term "older than dirt"... Mark Martin is 1 1/2 years YOUNGER than I am, but looks 10 years OLDER!

Either way... gooooooooooooooooo Mark!

" Martin will not drive in the May 5 race at Talladega, which marks the end of the timetable for Hamlin's recovery. Sources said there is a chance Hamlin could at least start that race to collect points. If he is unable to finish he could give way to a backup driver. Because Talladega is a 2.66-mile track, a switch could be made under caution without losing a lap.

Vickers is not scheduled to drive the 55 in that race, so he is available if Hamlin can't drive or needs a backup.

JGR also looked at putting Vickers, who drives a full Nationwide Series schedule for the organization, in the No. 11 full time. But because Vickers is in line to replace Martin full time in the No. 55 next year, it was decided to give him more time with the team.

JGR Nationwide driver Elliott Sadler wasn't an option because he already is running a fourth JGR car at Kansas and Talladega with sponsors in place.

Gibbs said Hamlin, crew chief Darian Grubb and sponsor FedEx were all part of the decision process."

Back