Baseball Jeter, Pujols earn Aaron Awards

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Derek Jeter is stockpiling awards named after Hall of Famers.

The New York Yankees shortstop and Albert Pujols of the St. Louis Cardinals won the Hank Aaron Award in fan voting for the best offensive players in their leagues. Aaron presented Jeter with the award before the Yankees played the Philadelphia Phillies in Game 4 of the World Series on Sunday night.

"Any award that's named after Hank Aaron to me is very special, what he has represented, not only in his playing days but how he handled himself when he was playing off the field and to this day," Jeter said. "I have the utmost respect for him. This is an award that means a lot to me."

Pujols wasn't in attendance because he's recovering from elbow surgery.

The 35-year-old Jeter, a career .317 hitter, hit .334 with 18 homers, 66 RBIs and 30 steals to lead the Yankees back to the World Series for the first time in six years.

On Thursday, Jeter was presented the Roberto Clemente Award, given annually to a major league player who combines community service with excellence on the field.

Pujols hit .327 with a major league-leading 47 homers, 135 RBIs and 124 runs. His Cardinals won the NL Central, but were swept by the Los Angeles Dodgers in the division series.

Back