Football Is it true?

paparoke

Bench Warmer
I heard today that Topps is no longer licensed to make football products in 2010. Is that true? No more Sterling and Triple Threads? I hope this isn't true. Anybody know?

paparoke said:
I heard today that Topps is no longer licensed to make football products in 2010. Is that true? No more Sterling and Triple Threads? I hope this isn't true. Anybody know?
Game over for topps.I also believe 2010 is the final curtain call for press pass and sage football as ud got the college license after this year.

That's crazy! What is happening to the hobby?! There has been a lot of turnover lately and will all the legal problems UD has been having, I'm not very comfortable with them getting all teh rights to football :(

The Yu Gi Goh UD fiasco was def a big blow for UD, but the suit with MLB is a joke. They sued Donruss last yr over threads and a judge ruled that the emblems on the uniforms were public domain- I don't see how MLB has any chance of winning this case either. The previous ruling essentially gave companies the go-ahead to produce cards without MLB's consent as long as the team trademarks weren't a part of the cards design, in this case they're not.

moosehead said:
The Yu Gi Goh UD fiasco was def a big blow for UD, but the suit with MLB is a joke. They sued Donruss last yr over threads and a judge ruled that the emblems on the uniforms were public domain- I don't see how MLB has any chance of winning this case either. The previous ruling essentially gave companies the go-ahead to produce cards without MLB's consent as long as the team trademarks weren't a part of the cards design, in this case they're not.

Yeah, I don't think the MLB is really gonna have a chance. BUT UD's authenticity for memoribilia has been called into question throughout all of their legal troubles. Not only that, but I really feel the Topps has more quality control in their products. UD just seems to be sloppy and after quick money. I hate having limited options when it comes to brands and if they have sole rights to football, then there is no competition to force them to put together quality products.

I am not a UD fan, they have peeved me in more way than once. The Yu Gi Goh thing was called counterfit but that was due to reproducing cards they didn't have a right to. They weren't auto/mem cards it was yu gi goh. So I wouldn't be too worried about the authenticity of their products. Topps on the other had has been in hot water over the term "relic" that is listed all over their cards- See TTT and Tribute. Seat relics were used in tribute and it wasn't until they received massive complaints that they spelled out what relic was in each card. Why not do that up front? The hobby has gone to the birds, at least pannini is putting out a decent product- now that that's been said I am sure they'll have a fiasco on their hands soon enough.

moosehead said:
I am not a UD fan, they have peeved me in more way than once. The Yu Gi Goh thing was called counterfit but that was due to reproducing cards they didn't have a right to. They weren't auto/mem cards it was yu gi goh. So I wouldn't be too worried about the authenticity of their products. Topps on the other had has been in hot water over the term "relic" that is listed all over their cards- See TTT and Tribute. Seat relics were used in tribute and it wasn't until they received massive complaints that they spelled out what relic was in each card. Why not do that up front? The hobby has gone to the birds, at least pannini is putting out a decent product- now that that's been said I am sure they'll have a fiasco on their hands soon enough.
Haha, yeah, I think UD has ticked every collector off at some time or another ;)

Good point about relic.

bluebug73 said:
and finest too,,,,,, the other brands better step it up,huh

I'm gonna miss variety, plus chrome and finest have been good at producing mint cards. Looks like the cost of singles will rise, since there are going to be less rookies of players out there.

paparoke said:
I'm gonna miss variety, plus chrome and finest have been good at producing mint cards. Looks like the cost of singles will rise, since there are going to be less rookies of players out there.

Thats a good point what is it going to do to the market? is it going to make all the prices sky rocket? now Ud can pretty much set the prices where ever they want? this is the first time I have heard this so I dont much about what is going on but now im very interested to see what happens

Back