Basketball I had to bring this up.. Is this possible?!

Ground Support

Bench Warmer
Derek Fisher hit that shot a few years back with .4 seconds left. They counted it. It has been reviewed hundreds of times also.

Here is my take.

The clock doesn't start until the ball is touched. With that being said, there is a reaction time from the time the scorers table sees the ball being touched and starting the clock. Kind of like the reaction time from realizing you have to hit the breaks, until doing so. So, my take Derek Fisher got .6-.7 seconds to get that shot off.

If you want to see how long .4 seconds is, play the seconds game in the arcade. Then you decide if he could catch, turn, and shoot in .4 seconds.

No way that shots counts.

I'm glad it did though, because DETROIT destroyed LA in the finals that year.

Your thoughts.

lol i remember that game man that was a good run we had and honestly losing to detroit to me wasnt that bad we couldnt keep the dynasty going for much longer

joshsmith said:
it was a catch turn and shoot.

Can you turn in .1?

lol

It is possible. It takes roughly that long for a cat to turn to land on it's feet. Under extreme duress, human beings are able to exhibit super human ability. If you are honestly calling this into question however, every sports play in the history of organized sports must be called into play. There are always several reasonings why we are not infallible. For starters, light, even as fast as it travels, takes a moment to reach our eyes. Once that moment is over, and it has finally reached our line of vision, it causes a chemical process which sends an impulse that causes us to react in a very specific way. To call that one play into question is misleading, especially seeing as the evidence is inconclusive. If you were to break down any play that resulted in photographic evidence to prove one way of the other, the laws of percentages and averages would ultimately conclude that half of the time the correct calls were made. That being said, I still honestly believe that the correct call was made on this play.

I dont think its possible. Even if you could catch and shoot in .4 seconds, the scorers table couldnt start the **** at the exact tenth of a second he catches it. Reaction time isnt that quick.

NoFlyZone said:
I dont think its possible. Even if you could catch and shoot in .4 seconds, the scorers table couldnt start the **** at the exact tenth of a second he catches it. Reaction time isnt that quick.

It is as infallible as human beings can be. If you call this into question, every last second shot in the history of basketball must then be placed under the microscope for this exact reason. Do you realize how many .3 second shots there have been in all of basketball? There have been quite a few. But that is not what is in question. You guys question a persons ability to catch and shoot with that amount of time. It is possible, and has been scientifically proven.

Catch and shoot and catch turn and shoot are two different things. As for MJ that was a superstar and a guy, combined with the refs reluctance to make a call late in a game. A similar travesty was Tyus Edny going the length of the floor in 2.7 seconds in the NCAA tourny.

Back