Hockey Hockey Post of the Day: 10/12/11 Conference Re-Alignment

ewilkens

Bench Warmer
Word beginning to leak on what the new Conferences/Divisions may be next season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/pu...heast-Jets-in-Central-NHL-wim?urn=nhl-wp14631

Thoughts on this?

I tend to agree with the article that it's a bit of the lazy/cheap way to do things. I'd be much more in favor a fully changed alignment than this which doesn't make that much more sense really.

Plus as a Blackhawks fan, I worry about the rivalry with the Red Wings if they move to the East (and it'd suck that the Hawks would be the only original 6 left in the West). They'd better change the scheduling a little bit, as it's bad enough that the other original 6s might not come to Chicago even once a season, but it'd be awful if Chicago and Detroit played only once a year too.

I had heard something about a playoffs change. My understanding was that the playoff series system would be broken up a bit, the conference finals would be eliminated, and it may become possible to see a Philadelphia-Pittsburgh Stanley Cup round, or something like that.

Back