Racing Hamlin fined $25,000 for 'disparaging remarks'

• Thread starter SCF Sports News
  • Start date
S

SCF Sports News

Denny Hamlin has been fined $25,000 by NASCAR for "disparaging remarks" about the new Sprint Cup car and quality of racing in Sunday's Sprint Cup race at Phoenix International Raceway.

More...

Here's what's going to happen: Drivers will just quit giving interviews. I mean why risk it? Like Hamlin said "Ask me about my daughter....".

Unfortunately, ALL the pro sports can fine you for blowing off an interview. On the other hand, showing up and saying, "I realize I have no First Amengment rights, but can I plead the Fifth?" may eventually get the point across!

Joe Gibbs Racing released the following tonight (posted on the JGR FaceBook page):

Joe Gibbs Racing releases the following statement in response to NASCAR’s issuance of a fine to driver Denny Hamlin for his post-race comments in Phoenix last weekend:

We have spoken with NASCAR and will continue to keep an open dialogue with them on this matter, but we will keep those discussions between the parties involved.

We will fully support Denny in his appeal process.

I don't want him to pay the fine. Let's see if nascar has the balls to suspend him. The grandstands are half empty every race now. Does nascar really want to pee off any more fans by strong arming their popular drivers like this? He did nothing wrong here. He gave an honest answer to a question asked of him by a reporter. If nascar persues this to the fullest extent, you'll never see another driver interview on TV again. They need to back off this, and fast.

Back