Halloween Week Contest!

Today's guess

The Invisible Man 1933

Thanks,
Dennis
This was a miracle of technology at the time, removing Claude Rains from the shots! I read a story about Claude bringing his young daughter Jessica to a screening of this movie when it was re-released, and he was explaining to her how the trick cinematography was done. The story goes that the audience was straining to hear Claude as he spoke, rather than listening to the dialogue in the movie, and gave him a standing ovation when the movie ended! Loved Claude in this movie, but especially in the Phantom of the Opera and Casablanca! He was a great actor during an era of truly great actors!

p5920_p_v8_ac.jpg

Today's try bride of Frankenstein
The_Bride_of_Frankenstein_(1935_poster).jpg

I did not personally enjoy this movie as much as the original Frankenstein, though it is undoubtedly one of the best of the Universal horror classics in terms of its plot development, cinematography, and storyline! Elsa Lanchester was also married to the very fine English actor Charles Laughton, who played in so many great classic movies!

I’ll go with this one today
House of Frankenstein 1944

Very cool posters with the guess, lots of fun to see!

I’ll go with this one today
House of Frankenstein 1944

Very cool posters with the guess, lots of fun to see!
Thanks so much @Mechjo16 ! This has been my favorite contest, kind of like a walk down memory lane!

I couldnt decide which poster I liked the best for House of Frankenstein, so I went with two! This was Boris Karloff's last entry into the serious monster movies, though he played a non-monster role in Abbott and Costello Meet the Killer, Boris Karloff in 1949! House of Dracula followed this in 1945, and House of the Wolf Man was planned for 1946, though Universal executives pulled the plug due to dropping box office receipts. Fortunately, Creature from the Black Lagoon sparked a whole new interest in 1954, and most of the old classics were re-released throughout the 50s and early 60s, playing to a whole new fan base!
14BMB238_House-Of-Frankenstein-Poster.jpg61dXWXg7n1L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

I will go with Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy 1955

We have the METV network here and on Saturdays from 8pm-10pm EST there is a show called Schvengoolie < spelled wrong were this guy hosts this show dresses in make up is in a coffin has a side kick thats a rubber chicken and each week shows a old classic monster movie

I will go with Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy 1955

We have the METV network here and on Saturdays from 8pm-10pm EST there is a show called Schvengoolie < spelled wrong were this guy hosts this show dresses in make up is in a coffin has a side kick thats a rubber chicken and each week shows a old classic monster movie
MV5BZGJjYTMwODgtNGFhZC00ZmIwLTllYTgtMGY2Mzk0OThlODJiXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjE5MjUyOTM@._V1_.jpg

I know of the Svengoolie show, he is kind of a throwback to the old days where movies had hosts on TV, he does offer some interesting facts, I remember watching that program when I lived in Chicago!

I just realized that I did not share the poster from the original Dracula, here it is:

1705363-b.jpg

An interesting side note, there was a Spanish language version starring Carlos Villarias and Lupita Tovar that was filmed concurrently with the Bela Lugosi version; the Spanish speaking cast and crew used the same sets, but shot at night after the cast and crew of the Lugosi version had wrapped filming for the day! It is a highly regarded film, which I have not seen all the way through.
MV5BMmM2YmZlZDQtZjRmYS00MWNjLWIwZGMtNDI4MDAwM2RmOWEyL2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzA4ODc3ODU@._V1_F...jpg

I will try this one:
The Phantom of the Opera 1925

I have an autographed book from Carla Laemmle, who appeared in this movie.

I will try this one:
The Phantom of the Opera 1925

I have an autographed book from Carla Laemmle, who appeared in this movie.
Really?? She was a great ambassador for the classic Universal movies that her Uncle Carl's studio cranked out! She passed in 2014 at 104 years old, the last person ever to have seen Lon Chaney Sr. act! Would love to see a photo of your book and signature if you can?

Carla also spoke the first lines ever in a sound horror movie, in Dracula's opening carriage scene in 1931:

And here is the Phantom poster I grew up with!

ThePhantomOfTheOpera.jpg

Really?? She was a great ambassador for the classic Universal movies that her Uncle Carl's studio cranked out! She passed in 2014 at 104 years old, the last person ever to have seen Lon Chaney Sr. act! Would love to see a photo of your book and signature if you can?

Carla also spoke the first lines ever in a sound horror movie, in Dracula's opening carriage scene in 1931:

And here is the Phantom poster I grew up with!

View attachment 8829
I have it stored away, I will see if I can find it.

I have it stored away, I will see if I can find it.
That would be awesome! She had a neat signature!

@bfd13 found this close up video of Carla signing autographs shortly before she passed at 104!

Last edited:
Back