Hockey Gretzky Signs a New Deal with Upper Deck

I don't know how I feel about this. Upper Deck must've offered a ton to get his loyalty. As far as I'm concerned it seems like he's going to be exclusive to Upper Deck.

The way his daughter is getting so much press, maybe her autograph will overtake his! I gotta go....the Patriots are getting killed by Detroit right now.....cannot beleive it!

I'm with you....does this mean that he can't autograph anything without it being for Upper Deck?

Not sure, I didn't read the story on it, but he has his own company that sells Wayne Gretzky Authentics stuff, so doubt he's totally exclusive to Upper Deck. He may not be signing at all for Panini, or In The Game, though?

I guess when you're as big a name as Gretzky is, you can literally sell the exclusivity of allowing your autograph to be printed by a single company. That's some real pull eh?

Any figures on how much this deal was for? Seems like he's even more set for retirement than he was before.

I guess when you're as big a name as Gretzky is, you can literally sell the exclusivity of allowing your autograph to be printed by a single company. That's some real pull eh?

Any figures on how much this deal was for? Seems like he's even more set for retirement than he was before.

I don't think they disclose an amount, but having thought about it, I'm wondering how exclusive the deal is? There's no way Gretzky is going to close up WGA (Wayne Gretzky Authentics), so there must be certain exceptions to exclusivity?

Take Sidney Crosby for example. He has an exlusive deal with a company in Toronto called Fameworth Marketing. The deal must be exclusive to just signed memorabilia (jerseys, photos, sticks, pucks etc), because he signs cards for Upper Deck, and I'm sure he's in Panini products, as well. I wish I knew all the details, and in, and outs on this topic. I guess each deal is somehow special in it's own way, depending on the negotiations?

I don't know how it is currently, but at one time (90's, and up), the players were obliged to sign cards by the NHLPA, and the proceeds went into the NHLPA pension fund.

So it could be possible that he has an exclusive deal for just cards with Upper Deck which would allow for him to retain licensing for other types of merchandise? Sort of opposite of how you described Crosby's situation?

Yeah its always been the same with him signing with UD, he wont sign AU/ or have GU for any other product, I remember the biggest signing contract him and Gordie Howe made with UD back in the 90's, sure it will be the same way, not like I can afford his stuff anyways, so no big deal to me, lol! But nice when you bust a pack and get his merchandise

Thanks for sharing!

Yeah its always been the same with him signing with UD, he wont sign AU/ or have GU for any other product, I remember the biggest signing contract him and Gordie Howe made with UD back in the 90's, sure it will be the same way, not like I can afford his stuff anyways, so no big deal to me, lol! But nice when you bust a pack and get his merchandise

Thanks for sharing!
Quick aside... what does AU and GU mean? I figured UD means UpperDeck, but a little confused by the other two.

Quick aside... what does AU and GU mean? I figured UD means UpperDeck, but a little confused by the other two.
AU = auto = autograph. GU = Game-Used.

GU can sometimes be used incorrectly. Some cards contain jerseys and other material that may, or may not, have been worn by a player. Sometimes it's worn, but only in a "photo-shoot", and not in an actual game.

Generally though, GU means the card has a piece of jersey or other material which was indeed worn in a game.

That's why I started calling them "relics" instead. :rolleyes:

And you thought you were confused before. :eek:

Your welcome. :D

Haha thanks for the explanation.. I think. Okay, well at least it makes sense now instead of these nebulous acronyms that I had no idea about. So could you have an AU on a GU? Does this also include non-card items like sticks and such?

Back