Football Greatest Quarterback of all time? Who do you think?

Ground Support

Bench Warmer
Top 5?

John Elway
Joe Montana
Dan Marino
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning

Brett Favre doesn't make my top 5, as I think these guys could out perform Brett Favre anyday of the week in their prime. Brett Favre threw a lot of interceptions in a lot of key moments..

The quarterback will always depend on the system. Dan Marino doesn't succeed in SF the same way that Montana or Young did. Steve Young doesn't succeed in Miami.

If you're asking who provides you with the most options, I think it's Peyton. Pre-Salary Cap quarterbacks always seem great because the teams around them were absolutely stacked. Nowadays, this just isn't an option unless you get very lucky.

Tom Brady won three superbowls win Troy Brown.. I don't think he ever had a stacked team on offense.

Peyton did have a couple damn fine WR's to throw to.

I could through in a couple of more in there but here you go:

Johnny Unitas
Joe Montana
John Elway
Tom Brady
Peyton Manning
Sammy Baugh
Dan Marino

Montana2of5.jpg

:D :D :D :D

Elway,Montana,Marino are top 3

They played in an era where DB's could actually play defense, not the hands off,don't breathe on the WR that the QB's of today play against

I can't speak for any of the old timers i never saw play, like Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, Norm Van Brocklin and such..i did catch the end of Unitas's career and maybe it was because it was winding down for him, i wasn't impressed..For all i've seen since 1972 or so..Joe Montana was the best IMO

OilMan said:
I can't speak for any of the old timers i never saw play, like Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, Norm Van Brocklin and such..i did catch the end of Unitas's career and maybe it was because it was winding down for him, i wasn't impressed..For all i've seen since 1972 or so..Joe Montana was the best IMO

started watching unitas in '68, baugh was just from i read about him. for me it could have went either way montana then unitas. but to me they are 1 and 1a.

for me the list goes like this

1. Joe Montana
2. John Elway
3. Dan Marino
4. Steve Young
5. Terry Bradshaw

up and coming
1.Ben Roethlisberger
2. Tom Brady

Tom Brady makes it just below big ben just cause brady cant play when hes hit a bunch and can only dominate if hes protected well.
big ben on the other hand will soon have his third ring, and can play in, out of the pocket and can change a game regardless if youre hitting him or not.
i will go as far as to say him, and brady are neck n neck but with ben alittle ahead.
peyton is close but to me championships need to be won more than once if youre an active player still.

added note.
i cant make a judgement of old school hall of famers cause i am not familiar with them or they would be above ben and brady for sure.

steelernutt68 said:
for me the list goes like this

1. Joe Montana
2. John Elway
3. Dan Marino
4. Steve Young
5. Terry Bradshaw

up and coming
1.Ben Roethlisberger
2. Tom Brady

Tom Brady makes it just below big ben just cause brady cant play when hes hit a bunch and can only dominate if hes protected well.
big ben on the other hand will soon have his third ring, and can play in, out of the pocket and can change a game regardless if youre hitting him or not.
i will go as far as to say him, and brady are neck n neck but with ben alittle ahead.
peyton is close but to me championships need to be won more than once if youre an active player still.

added note.
i cant make a judgement of old school hall of famers cause i am not familiar with them or they would be above ben and brady for sure.

lot of great points you made but i just cant have bradshaw (rings aside) was not a gr8 qb. it was stallworth and swann and his gr8 rbs that made him look good or gr8.

How do we measure QB's by winning Superbowls lets look at the best ever and his name is Joe Montana (Stats dont lie and the BIG ONE is 0 Intereceptions in 4 SB say alot)

Joe Montana, 49ers, Super Bowl XXIV (1990)

Stats: 22-29, 297 yards, 5 TD, 0 interceptions in a 55-10 win over Broncos.
Montana was spectacular in winning his third Super Bowl MVP, throwing for a then-record five TDs and completing 76 percent of his passes against a Broncos team that boasted the top scoring defense in the NFL that season.

Joe Montana, 49ers, Super Bowl XIX (1985)
Stats: 24-35, 331 yards, 4 TD (1 rush), 0 interceptions in 38-16 win over Dolphins.
Montana beat Dan Marino and the Dolphins through the air with three touchdowns and another score on the ground. His 59 yards rushing were more than San Francisco star running back Roger Craig had.

Joe Montana, 49ers, Super Bowl XXIII (1989)
Stats: 23-36, 357 yards, 2 TD, 0 interceptions in 20-16 win over Bengals.
Montana's second TD pass was the game winner, a 10-yard strike to John Taylor with 34 seconds left. San Francisco dominated offensively, outgaining the Bengals 453 yards to 229.

14-22, 157 yards, 2 TD (1 rush), 0 interceptions in 26-21 win over Bengals.

Joe Montana, 49ers, Super Bowl XVI (1982)
Montana's steady hand in this game -- his first Super Bowl appearance -- earned him MVP.

Back