Football Goodell refutes union claims on retiree benefits

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
NFL commissioner Roger Goodell reassured retired players that their pensions and benefits would not be reduced in a labor dispute, refuting statements made by the NFL Players Association.

In a letter to the NFL Alumni Board of Directors on Wednesday, Goodell wrote that claims made by the union -- including NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith -- "have no basis in fact."

"In all my conversations with DeMaurice Smith, he has never raised the subject with me," Goodell wrote in response to questions raised by NFL Alumni board members. "Had he done so, my answer would have been unequivocal -- there will be no reduction in pension or disability payments to retired players during 2010."

Goodell added that since 2007, owners have consistently agreed not to reduce funding to retired players if a new collective bargaining agreement is not reached, resulting in the salary cap being lifted next season.

Portions of Goodell's letter were released by NFL Alumni and Fourth and Goal, an independent retired-player advocacy group.

Smith was not available for comment. Messages left with NFLPA officials were not returned.

Smith told a group of retired players at a meeting in Las Vegas in June that their benefits would be affected.

Ravens cornerback and NFLPA executive committee member Domonique Foxworth repeated those concerns in an interview published last weekend in the Carroll County (Md.) Times.

Foxworth was quoted as saying retired players benefits would be cut by more than 50 percent.

"It's devastating to the retired players," Foxworth said.

NFL Alumni and Fourth and Goal board member Jerry Kramer welcomed Goodell's response, noting it validates the trust he's had in working with the commissioner for the past three years.

"To hear that was not truth was both good news for the guys on disability and pensions, and it was good news for me because I have a lot of reasons to trust the commissioner," said Kramer, the former Packers offensive lineman. "And this just solidified my position there. It's a big announcement for me."

Kramer noted that the NFL, under Goodell, is contributing up to $9 million more toward retired player benefits than it previously did.

As for the NFLPA, Kramer questioned whether the union was using this issue to gain support from retired players in labor talks.

"You've got to assume this is the first shot in the collective bargaining process," Kramer said.

The NFL is in the midst of negotiating a new labor agreement with the union after the owners opted out of the current deal last year.

Fourth and Goal and NFL Alumni board member Harry Carson was also pleased Goodell cleared up retired players' concerns.

"I am very happy to see [the] commissioner step forward to eliminate any misstatements or rumor floating out there that could be used in upcoming CBA negotiations," Carson said. "This should put the minds of retired players and families at ease."

Back