Football Giants cut WR Tyree, star of Super Bowl XLII

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
The New York Giants have cut David Tyree, the receiver who cradled a catch against his helmet to prolong a game-winning drive at the end of Super Bowl XLII.

"I talked to [assistant GM] Kevin Abrams this morning and he said it was a very tough decision for the team," Michael Clouser, Tyree's agent, told The Newark Star-Ledger on Saturday. "Like anyone else, it was a tough thing for David to hear. He's actually saying his goodbyes to his teammates right now."

The Giants also released quarterback Andre Woodson and are considering carrying only two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster -- Eli Manning and David Carr.

That makes this year's fifth-round pick Rhett Bomar a candidate to be released and re-signed to the practice squad if he clears waivers.

Leg injuries kept Tyree from playing at all in 2008 and limited him to four catches during the 2007 regular season. He pulled in three catches for 43 yards in the Super Bowl, as the Giants beat the New England Patriots 17-14.

"He's obviously disappointed, but we're confident someone else will see the value he brings on special teams and as a wide receiver," Clouser said. "We'll see how things go here in the next few days."

Tyree, a sixth-round draft pick of the Giants in 2003 out of Syracuse, has 54 catches for 650 yards in five seasons. He had told reporters this week he anticipated being released.

"What a joy it was to be a part of something so great from Day 1," Tyree said, according to the Star-Ledger. "My experience here has been nothing short of a dream."

Teams were required to set their rosters at no more than 53 players Saturday.

"To be placed in team history and sports history, where do you go from here?" Tyree said earlier this week. "But at the same time, my love for this game hasn't died out yet and I really feel I still have something great to add onto my career and legacy."

Back