Hockey Flames sign premier D Bouwmeester

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Scratch the highest-profile defenseman off Wednesday's free-agent list.

Jay Bouwmeester agreed to terms on a five-year deal with the Calgary Flames on Tuesday night, forgoing unrestricted free agency.

Bouwmeester's deal is worth an average of $6.6 million per season, a source told ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun. He made $4.875 million this past season.

The Flames had about $10 million worth of cap space to work with for 2009-10.

"Jay is one of the most complete defenseman in the game, and we are very pleased to have reached an agreement that will make him an important component of the Calgary Flames success," Flames general manager Darryl Sutter said in statement. "We identified Jay as the priority player where we were going to focus our money. We wanted an opportunity a few days in advance of the deadline, and that's why we made the move we did this past weekend."

The Flames took a gamble Saturday at the NHL entry draft and sent a third-round pick and the rights to Jordan Leopold to the Florida Panthers in exchange for the rights to Bouwmeester.

Bouwmeester, a native of Edmonton, completed his sixth season with the Panthers in 2008-09, recording 42 points with 15 goals and 27 assists.

The six-foot-four, 213-pounder has 203 points in 471 career NHL games. He was picked with the third overall draft pick by the Florida Panthers in 2002.

"I am happy to have this deal done as Calgary was a team I was very interested in playing for. I was encouraged by the commitment Calgary showed by acquiring me prior to July 1," Bouwmeester said in a statement. "I am familiar with some of the players and believe we have a strong club that is poised to make the next step in becoming a championship club. I look forward to contributing to that success."

Calgary exited the playoffs in the first round for a fourth straight year last season.

Darryl Sutter hired his brother Brent as the new head coach with improving the defense in mind and the signing of the six-foot-four, 212-pound Bouwmeester is another piece of that puzzle.

Bouwmeester played for Canada at the 2006 Olympics in Turin, Italy, as a replacement for injured Scott Niedermayer.

Back