Football Favre asked for trade after draft

rynesandbergfan23

Bench Warmer
Jay Glazer / FOXSports.com

Incensed that his team did not acquire wide receiver Randy Moss as he wanted, Brett Favre asked Green Bay to trade him, several Packers and league sources have told FOXSports.com.

Just two or three days after last month's NFL Draft, Favre's agent Bus Cook phoned Green Bay's general manager Ted Thompson and asked that his client be traded, the sources said. In the conversation, Cook railed off on how his client was fed up with the organization and wanted out.

The trade request was relayed to head coach Mike McCarthy, who immediately phoned the Super Bowl-winning quarterback. However, the quarterback ignored all his calls for a week, letting the request fester and perhaps showing the team how upset he was this time.

Finally, in the middle of this past week, the two connected. Sources close to the situation said Favre asked McCarthy if he was aware that Cook asked for a trade but McCarthy immediately insisted that would not happen.

Following the conversation, McCarthy told others inside the organization that the talk appeared to have cooled Favre's anger and that Favre, by the end of the discussion, admitted he didn't want to go elsewhere.

However, Favre continued to tell friends on other teams how frustrated he was with the organization's inability to land the former Pro Bowl wideout and that he, in fact, wanted out of Green Bay.

Several calls Sunday morning to McCarthy and Thompson from FOXSports.com were not immediately returned.

On Saturday, Favre railed against the team in an interview session with reporters.

"I just want to win; maybe I see things the wrong way," Favre said. "I don't want to ruffle any feathers and I want people to respect me. Sometimes I think it's hard for them to let Brett go. They might think that we pay him a lot of money, but he still gives us the best chance to win. I've never been told that, but there are times when I wonder if I'm the odd man out here and they just don't know how to tell me.

"Our offense struggled last season. If it were not for our defense, we would not have won eight games. Right now, it's hard to be optimistic. I'm not getting any younger and I think everyone knows that. I don't have five years to rebuild. No one in Green Bay is saying rebuild but it's hard to look at where we are going and say, 'How can they not be rebuilding?'

"I don't know if I've lost faith, and I think everyone in the organization wants to win. I just don't know if it includes me. If it's going to be five years from now, I'm not going to be here. This is 17 years for me and I want to win."

At this point the Packers are prepping for serious damage control to prevent any further uproar regarding their most prized name. However, the damage may already have been done by his bizarre trade request.

Despite Favre's trade request and rant to reporters, the team has no intention of parting ways with their prized quarterback. In fact, some within the organization claim that McCarthy honestly believes they can win with the long-time vet at the helm and has repeatedly told him so.

Thus, they are hoping that Favre simply needed to vent for a while before jumping back on board.

Back