Football Eagles' Brown says he'll show up at minicamp

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Disgruntled Philadelphia Eagles cornerback Sheldon Brown says he'll attend the team's mandatory minicamp when it starts Friday morning, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported.

Brown said he intends to remain professional about the situation while hoping the Eagles will find a way to fulfill his trade demands. "You never know," he said, according to the report. "If somebody offers something they like, they might listen."

Last week, Brown, who has four years left on his six-year deal, told ESPN's Sal Paolantonio that he has been asking the Eagles to renegotiate for a year, without success, and feels disrespected.

But he's still planning to show up and take part in workouts.

"I'm the leader on the football team, and it's bad for players to see me in a situation where I'm not happy. But I'm not going to **** up the NovaCare Complex [where the Eagles train]," he said, according to the Inquirer. "I'm not going to be one of the guys who puts on a show week in and week out when the media comes to my locker."

It appeared that the Eagles might be paving a way for Brown's eventual departure when they acquired Ellis Hobbs from the New England Patriots for a pair of fifth-round draft picks.
Reid on 2009 season

"I think it's great," Brown told The Associated Press on Monday. "I look at it as great news in terms of me being traded."

But Eagles head coach Andy Reid wasn't ready to accommodate Brown's wishes. "This doesn't have anything to do with Sheldon," Reid said Sunday. "Sheldon is on this team. [Hobbs] gives us depth at cornerback. You can never have enough quality cornerbacks."

In the meantime, Brown said he's not concerned about competing with Hobbs for playing time, according to the Inquirer.

"I've always competed for my job," he said, according to the report. "That doesn't matter to me. I have respect for Ellis. He's a guy who has played through injuries, like me. He tore up his groin and didn't miss any time. He's a hard worker, and he's trying to establish himself."

Back