Do QBs need to be "groomed"?

Seahawcla

Bench Warmer
I am arguing with other Seahawk members about this topic.

I believe its a myth that a QB needs to ride pine before playing.

I am looking at first round QBs only.

I am arguing with other Seahawk members about this topic.

I believe its a myth that a QB needs to ride pine before playing.

I am looking at first round QBs only.

I like a good seahawk member argument. However, here's how I see this:

1st round Senior QB's are optional for "grooming" IMO. The success rate on those for 1st rounders just varies on the player, which is on the scouting/coaching staff to determine. This draft has none of those to offer.

I think 1st round Junior QB's that make the jump must sit at least a month of the season, or play in mop up time in the months of September and October. The only exception I'd see for playing a junior QB from day one is if he has a high number of starts in a pro-style offense at the college level.

2008 was a bit of an abberation in terms of QB's contributing right away compared to previous years. From 2003-07, you saw most QB's held back for at least half a year or more. And most needed that time to catch up to the speed of the game and its in-game nuances.

It all depends on the system they played in college, and how it relates to their current one. Personally, I think most QBs should sit their first season. There is a lot of information to take in, and many fold under the pressure.

It depends. Some guys obviously need it, some don't.

If a QB is truly elite -- P. Manning, Elway, Marino, Bledsoe, Roethlisberger, Ryan -- from the time he enters the NFL, no grooming is needed. Roethlisberger is the only guy on this list who had a great team around him in his first year. But all these guys pretty much started from day one. Ryan's "eliteness" is still to be determined, but if 2008 is any indication, he will be that guy.

However, there aren't many elite QBs these days. Guys like Palmer (Kitna), McNabb (Pederson), Rivers (Brees), Cutler (Plummer), Rodgers (Favre) and so-on needed to be groomed/given a chance. They are good QBs, but probably not "elite." The last guy to be groomed was Rodgers, but only because he was behind Favre. Palmer was the last guy to truly be groomed. He didn't attempt a pass in 2003.

I assume the QB you're debating is Mark Sanchez. With such a limited college resume, I don't think it would hurt for him to sit for a year or two to learn the position and nuances of the NFL. However, he could start from day one and shock the hell out of us. My gut feeling is that he sits for at least a season, ala Carson Palmer (just a coincidence they're both USC QBs).

Some guys are better for it. Some guys don't need it. Some guys just don't make it, whether they are groomed or start from day one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those guys who did not sit out also were long time starters at their school. Sanchez needs to sit IMO. There is still a reason why he could not beat out JDB IMO. (yes I know that was 2 years ago though)

If he is not an elite QB why should they take him at #4?

I think a selection that high needs to see the field in season one. That is a ton of cap space at one position.

If he is not an elite QB w/hy should they take him at #4?

I think a selection that high needs to see the field in season one. That is a ton of cap space at one position.
Who's to say he won't be elite? If he goes to a team running the West Coast Offense (i.e. Seattle), he could be elite. He could see the field in year one, but he wouldn't be expected to make an impact in his first year, as the Hawks have a quality starter and backup.

If a team thinks a guy is a potential franchise QB, it's awfully tough to pass him up. Look at Ryan last year. Everyone thought Glenn Dorsey was going to Atlanta if the Rams didn't take him. When it surfaced the Falcons were going to take Ryan, a lot of people didn't know if that was the right decision. Turns out the Falcon brass knew what they were doing.

If Seattle's GM sees Sanchez as a franchise QB, you better believe he will take him at No. 4.

I wouldn't take him at #4. I have doubts about his in-game accuracy from the full games of his I saw. Missed some very open targets. But I bashed Matt Ryan last year, which is why I just stick to RB and Line prospects. Much easier to gauge, IMO. Maybe a blessing in disguise for whoever drafts Sanchez. ;)

However, there is little room for error on QB's in this draft, since the dropoff is gigantic. Which is why Seattle, looking down the line for Hasselbeck's replacement, are stuck in either "reaching" for Sanchez, IMO a mid-1st grade, or putting this QB discussion off for another year.

If you want a guy to see the field on day one, and be worth the money, you take Eugene Monroe at #4.

I would never draft a QB in the early first round. Get a QB who you know can play in free agency. Draft young kids who you can pay to ride the pine without the media jumping all over you.

In Seattle's case if Hass is truly in his last year then wont they have a repeat of last season? And then they could take Bradford or McCoy next year?

Get a guy like Rak, Curry, Monroe, or Smith this year and if Hass is done pick up a franchise QB next year.

Just seems like better strategy and use of cap.

In Seattle's case if Hass is truly in his last year then wont they have a repeat of last season? And then they could take Bradford or McCoy next year?

Get a guy like Rak, Curry, Monroe, or Smith this year and if Hass is done pick up a franchise QB next year.

Probably a better use of the cap, but I'm not sold on Bradford and McCoy being a better prospect than Sanchez.

Probably a better use of the cap, but I'm not sold on Bradford and McCoy being a better prospect than Sanchez.

I'd like to see Bradford take more snaps under center. He looks like a QB with good footwork and a solid release point, but you only get so much that isn't from the shotgun. The only times I saw him throw from starting under the center were on play action passes. But that is a common ailment of spread offenses at the college level.

Yep, plus with Smith or Monroe, you'd have your future QB's blindside protected before he got there. So when he's throwing a half second late due to inexperience in his reads, he's not already buried in the turf by a defensive end or outside linebacker.

Back