Football Detroit Lions trade Josh McCown and Mike Williams to Oakland for #105

hornsfan92 said:
the lions are probably one of, if not worst, managed teams in the NFL. why do this trade, it makes no sense to me. whoever they take with the 105th pick..i think thats in the fourth round? probably won't amount to much. Mike Williams i can understand them moving, but josh mccown? i figured he would be their Qb next year. Stang, you said "all their losing is potential" . isn't that what they are looking for? potential? mccown had potential to be a good QB. Kitna is getting older and was never really good in the first place. To me it seems their whole offense is just loaded like a gun, dangerously waiting to be fired. They could be the top offense in the league with a good QB. But im not saying mccown was gonna be that guy, but moving him AND your first round pick from a few years ago for a fourth rounder? please..they could've gotten a lot more value out of that deal

You would need to pay attention to the Lions to say that. But, they are ;)

No, they couldn't. No one wants Josh McCown and only the Titans wanted Mike Williams. I am glad they got rid of Mike Williams. He is overweight with a bad attitude, and a huge contract.

I will pass.

well i think the whol thing was just dum it needs a fin tooth come wat are the rell papers saying in this trade what are the demands and deals with the players mabey ther geting the better end of the deal

How was it a dumb trade?

McCown said in an interview before he was traded (his agent said it too) that he just wants to start. No disrespect towards they Lions, he is grateful for the opportunity he was given but he realized he wouldn't start as long as Kitna was healthy.

Nothing wrong with that, who wants to sit on the bench while your team is losing???

As for Mike Williams, I was really pulling for him. I kept telling myself "Just put him on the field and let him play, who cares if he is 10-15LBS over what the Lions want him to be. He is 6-5 and unless he is all bones then 235 is a good weight for him".

I always thought it was a part of the Lions plan to be hard on Mike Williams when he wasn't dressed for a week or two and they said it was "due to practice habits".

Matt Millen summed it up in an interview that Mike Williams just didn't show up. (I can find the link if someone wants to see).

The Lions are on the right path, they just need to win some games now.

GO LIONS!!!

Thanks
mike

also, I just caught up on this thread, but the Raiders traded Randy Moss to the Patriots on Sunday night!!! so Mike Williams might be expected to fill that void, just thought the folks keeping score would like to know

*edit* Furry was signed to a 3 year deal in January...they have a great wr corps with or without Williams, the future should be bright in Detroit...

The Lions didn't trade Furrey and I doubt they will.

They have Shaun McDonald, Mike Furrey, Calvin Johnson, Roy Williams, Eddie Drummond, and maybe a few lesser known guys like Shaun Bodiford or Glenn Martinez.

Yeah, I thought that Randy Moss and Mike Williams would be perfect targets for JaMarcus Russell, but now that McCown is there he might be fighting for the starting spot.

Before the draft there was talk that the Lions were going to trade McCown to the Raiders, but if it happened before the Draft there was a chance the Raiders would have taken Calvin Johnson and then the Lions probably would have taken Gaines Adams or traded down, or maybe even draft JaMarcus Russell....:eek:

One thing I really like about Calvin Johnson is his attitude. He knows that hard work is what got him where he is and it is hard work that will take him where he wants to be.

As long as Roy Williams doesn't get a big ego and throw a hissy fit and they can stay healthy I think the Lions offense in 07 is going to be pretty good.

Thanks
Mike

*I actually think Furrey got a contract extension after the season, I will check.

The lions did give Furrey an extension.

Detroit Lions Site: Lions Agree to Terms with WR Mike Furrey on a Three-Year Deal

They also signed Travis Fisher, TJ Duckett and a few other guys.

I think they will be better in this next season.

One thing Marinelli has been trying to pound into the Lions is to play the FULL game and not give up half way thru the 4th quarter.

The Dallas game was a good example of that. The Lions played strong until the final whistle and kept Romo out at the Goal-line.

Thanks
Mike

These are the current players on the Detroit Roster at the WR position.

87 Furrey, Mike WR
18 Drummond, Eddie WR
80 Ellis, Devale WR
11 Williams, Roy WR
85 Kasper, Kevin WR
86 Robinson, Marcus WR
19 Russell, Cliff WR
81 Johnson, Calvin WR
15 Shepherd, Edell WR
84 McDonald, Shaun WR

I didn't even know they had Russell or Robinson, or Kasper, or Edell Shepherd LOL.

Thanks
Mike

I think they may need to do a few cuts

my rec if I ran the lions

87 Furrey, Mike WR
18 Drummond, Eddie WR kr pr and some downs of play
11 Williams, Roy WR
86 Robinson, Marcus WR
81 Johnson, Calvin WR
84 McDonald, Shaun WR

strong core of rec here

what they need to do is fllod the left side with all 5 recevers and have them all cross paths nad one go all to the right in a z to L pattern and SEE WHAT HAPPENS FOR U WHO DONT KNOW WHAT IM SAYING UR NOT STUPED IT U JUST DID NOT PLAY IN HIGH SCHOOL ON THE SAME TEAM OR THE SAME TIME I DID ITS A PLAY THAT I DRUW UP AND IF ANY OF U ARE TEACHERS OR U KNOW WHAT IM SAYING BUT ANY WHAY IF U WHANT TO KNOW THE PLAY ITS VERY EFEKTIVE AND I WILL SELL IT FOR OR TRADE IT FOR THE RIGHT PRICE ALWAS WONE THE GAMES WITH THAT PLAY BUT U NEED TO PUT THE RECEVER ON THE RIGHT FIRST THEN HE RUNS THE MONSTER TO THE RB POSITION THE WELL IF U WHANT IT LETT ME KNOW WHAT ULL GIVE ME 4 IT

Back