Football Content Dungy not in contact with Bucs

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Former Indianapolis Colts coach Tony Dungy said Tuesday he is not currently interested in taking on a front-office role.

"No, probably not," Dungy told ESPN senior NFL analyst Chris Mortensen. "I mean, you never say never but I had a great job in football [that I left] to pursue my mission right now. That's my focus. There was a reason I stepped down from my job with the Colts. And I had an opportunity to stay on board there in a front-office capacity."

With the Tampa Bay Buccaneers winless through five games, Fox Sports Radio host Chris Myers speculated that Dungy's name was being discussed within the Bucs organization. Dungy is a former head coach in Tampa who went on to win a Super Bowl with the Colts.

"My answer is I don't know anything about it," Dungy told Mortensen. "I have absolutely not been contacted by the Bucs, formally or informally in the organization."

Myers said that the Bucs had discussed bringing Dungy in as a consultant, in a front-office advisory role or to assist first-year head coach Raheem Morris with coaching duties. Dungy dismissed the notion.

"Raheem knows I'm always available to him but we haven't talked lately, either," Dungy told Mortensen.

Back