Basketball Collecting Amateur

Well, most people collect their favorite teams. Others collect star rookie cards, others collect relics and autos. :) First thing to consider is your budget. You can find semi star stuff fairly cheap. Personally, I collect Ty Lawson and you can get low end autos of his for 5-10 bucks. If you want to collect the better stuff, LeBum, Wade, Kyrie, Curry and old players are whats hot right now. Durant, Westbrook, Love, Melo, and Griffin/paul have big followings too. Basketball collecting is in a bit of a decline right now (thank you Panini and your monopoly of basketball!) so you can get some good stuff fairly cheap compared to other sports right now.

Not a huge fan of Panini and the way they have completely monopolized the basketball card industry. I like collecting former UK player stuff, since that's my favorite team and those are the guys are watch regularly. I'm looking to find an Anthony Davis auto, but he's been pretty hot as of lately so his prices are kind of crazy.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I have always gone for collecting my favorite team and my favorite players from that team. I know this might not be the most profitable form of collecting. I just do not want it to start feeling like a chore, that would take all the fun out of it.

I agree with sbatz72, for me card collecting should be fun and entertaining. I started collecting cards because I am genuinely interested with the sport and the players. I always consider it a hobby, something that makes me happy and not tedious work.

You should enjoy it as a hobby. If you have to ask if you should, maybe you shouldn't, or maybe you mean is it fun? Of course. I have some really expensive cards ....the most valued cards are rookie or special inserts ( refractors, autograph, jersey patch etc) those are the ones you should try to aim for. If you get a rookie derrick rose card that's also a refractor/autograph....you won't be rich, but you can make a really nice penny if you try to sell it. The thing that sucks about basketball cards is if a player gets injured or doesn't perform at a high level anymore their value can go down. For example, penny hardaway . I had a rookie refractor card of him worth $500. Now its half the value or even less. If penny played like a star throughout his career. This card would of went up even more than $500.

BQ: last time I checked thss was in the early 2000...top chrome, top finest, upper deck xp or sp I forgot the name...but there are a lot of new brands out right now made from fleer, upperdeck, and tops...

BQ: prices vary....a regular top brands can cost $2.50 the most...but top chrome can go up to $10 a pack...then there are some sets that can go up to $20 a pack...I would just check online to get accurate current prices.

Back