Hockey Chelios turned down AHL deal from Rangers

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Chris Chelios was offered a contract with the New York Rangers' top minor-league team and isn't ruling out a future Broadway run if the team comes calling for veteran help, the New York Post reported.

Chelios, a 47-year-old defenseman who is playing with the American Hockey League's Chicago Wolves, said Rangers GM Glen Sather offered him a minor-league deal to play with the AHL's Hartford Wolf Pack, the Rangers' top minor-league team, according to the report.

"We'd talked a number of times over the summer, and I talked to Torts [head coach John Tortorella] at the U.S. Olympic evaluation camp, but they told me the Rangers were going in a different direction with their kids," Chelios said, according to the report. "I see that their guys are off to a good start, but if they're looking for veteran help down the road, I'd love to play there."

"I appreciate the offer to play in Hartford, but I decided to sign with Chicago because that's where my parents live, and it means a lot to me that they'll be able to come see me play," he added, according to the report.

Sather confirmed the offer was made but declined to elaborate, the newspaper reported.

The Wolves signed Chelios on Tuesday, and the 25-year NHL veteran was scheduled to make his debut Friday against the Manitoba Moose at Allstate Arena.

Chelios played the last nine seasons with Detroit Red Wings but was not re-signed after missing much of 2008-09 with an injury. He has three Stanley Cup championships and won the Norris Trophy three times as the NHL's best defenseman.

Back