Hockey Canucks' Wellwood breaks big toe

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Vancouver center Kyle Wellwood became the latest Canucks player injured when he broke his big toe late in Saturday's 3-1 victory over Toronto.

Wellwood, who has struggled with one assist in 10 games, said he broke the toe on his right foot blocking a Mike Komisarek slap shot in the third period, but was still able to finish the game.

"But once I took my skate off it started swelling, Wellwood said Sunday. "It's just a matter of when they can fit it into a skate and put more pressure on it, so right now I am just day to day.

That timeline is welcome news for a team missing six regulars.

Vancouver will get veteran defenseman Mathieu Schneider back for Sunday night's game against Edmonton after starting the season on the long-term injury list following summer shoulder surgery. Pavol Demitra struggled to recover from similar surgery, required another operation earlier in the week, and is expected to be out until at least January.

The Canucks are also without top goal scorer Daniel Sedin and top all-around defenseman Sami Salo for at least another two weeks. Speedy winger Jannik Hansen also still has a cast on his broken hand, but Rick Rypien could return this week.

Back