CamaroDMD's Card of the Week

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
It's been pretty slow around here lately...and I thought it would be fun to start a thread to show off some interesting cards. I figure I will post an item from my collection each week...some will be nicer or more valuable than others, but I will try and find as much variety as possible to keep it interesting.

The bulk of my collection is football and baseball...so that will be the bulk of what I post. Still, I will do my best to have some variety.

For the first card of the week...I will start with my favorite card in my collection. This is Joe Montana's rookie card and it was issued in the 1981 Topps football set. This famous and timeless card is basically the sole highlight of an otherwise dull set. The 1981 Topps set does also include Art Monk's RC, but across the board the set's design is lifeless and plain.

On a personal note, I like this card because Montana was my favorite childhood player. I have always loved the design of this card and think it is one of the finest football cards ever produced.

1981 Topps #216 Joe Montana RC

Nice Montana, I wished I saved my cards when I was a kid, but in the late 70's I was using them for my bike spokes

I'm glad you guys liked the first one. Just to get this thread jump-started, I will post a second card this week.

I have always been very fond of the Topps USFL sets issued in 1984 and 1985. For some reason, the USFL has been of great interest to me ever since I was a child. Perhaps it is because they challenged the NFL and went after some of the biggest college names of the era..they also had cool team names (Renegades, Express, Generals, Blitz, ect.)

I don't have any of the 1984 cards, but I do have a complete 1985 set. Both sets were 132 cards and were only issued as factory complete sets...no packs were issued. They are standard size and on white card stock. Here is one of the key cards of the 1985 set:

1985 Topps USFL #65 Steve Young

Here is a fun little item. This is actually something I assembled recently as a small display piece for the shelf in my office at work. I picked up a 4 card holder and thought it would be fun to put the 4 "base" rookies of my favorite baseball player in them. My favorite player is pitcher Tom Glavine.

The little case contains the following cards (form left to right):
1988 Donruss #644 Tom Glavine RC
1988 Fleer #539 Tom Glavine RC
1988 Score #638 Tom Glavine RC
1988 Topps #779 Tom Glavine RC

I think case, cards and all the shipping set me back around $10...so I thought it made a nice affordable display piece.

Back