Box Breaks... when they are NOT good for the hobby

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
Saw this posted on FB, and before I could comment, the Administrators decided to take it down and chastise the poster, saying he was not allowed to run future box breaks.

The box breaks involved three (3) products: 2014 Elite Football Hobby Box, 2014 Prizm Football Hobby Box and 2014 Bowman Football Hobby Box.

Cost per spot: $25. There were 30 spots available. (He was leaving two spots in reserves for a give-a-away at a later date)

Whoa! Hold on a minute... that equates to $750.00 in sales, while the three boxes can be purchased from Blowout Cards for a total of $253, with free shipping. That gives this guy a profit of almost $500!!!

Of course he said shipping would run him about $10.00 each package (which was included in the spot price). $10.00? I can do a bubble mailer with Delivery Confirmation for under $4.00!

Think about it... the next time you sign up for a box break. What is the cost? How many spots are available?

I know the guys running the box breaks want to make a few dollars, but there is a big difference between a few dollars and a $500 profit!

That is pathetic. I get it...there is time and work involved in doing a break and a little profit needs to be made. But a $500 profit is a bit much.

I have done a few box breaks and have either broke even, made a COUPLE dollars (as in less than $5.00 total profit, it's NOT about making money, it's about the hobby), and have even LOST money on breaks by allowing members to sign up from Canada or Overseas locations, but charging one flat fee for everyone. i.e., buying a box for $90.00, having six spots, charging $17.50 per spot (includes shipping) and then having to spend $7.00 to ship to Canada/Overseas. Which means that Canada/Overseas member are actually getting their spots for $10.50. Ouch!

I have done a few box breaks and have either broke even, made a COUPLE dollars (as in less than $5.00 total profit, it's NOT about making money, it's about the hobby), and have even LOST money on breaks by allowing members to sign up from Canada or Overseas locations, but charging one flat fee for everyone. i.e., buying a box for $90.00, having six spots, charging $17.50 per spot (includes shipping) and then having to spend $7.00 to ship to Canada/Overseas. Which means that Canada/Overseas member are actually getting their spots for $10.50. Ouch!
I agree with you...it's about the hobby and spreading the joy. My point was...I don't see a problem if someone wants to organize a break, get the boxes, do all the signups, film it, post it online and do all the mailing...if they come away with a few dollars in their pockets at the end of it. Not a ton of money...but a little bit to cover their time, I'm OK with that. They don't have to do it...but I don't have an issue with it. I have an issue with $500.

exactly.. the $500 is way out of line. Now, I've seen case breaks on sites where the organizer will make around $25 when all is said and done. To me that's alot of time and effort given for $25, but hats off to the guys that are willing to do that!

To look at it from another angle, it's a good sign that people take a stand when something like this comes up. There's plenty enough profiteering in the industry, it's nice to see it isn't more widespread with the box breaks.

Back