Blockbuster: Halladay to PHI, Lee to SEA

Philly basically is saying they wanted Halladay all along. All the way back from the last trade deadline. Lee + 1 prospect for him signed long-term is apparently worth it to them.

I don't think Toronto does the deal without Seattle getting involved, so I doubt Philly could just keep Lee and send other prospects elsewhere. Not without moving out Drabek or Dominic Brown at least, which they didn't want to do.

It looks as if Seattle was intent on trading prospects for a front-line starter next to Felix, and probably got a bit of a price cut in value trading for Lee rather than Halladay (who would have cost them more).

Toronto is still yet to be determined what exactly they got for their former ace. But if they were able to get 2 teams involved, they probably got closer to their target return for Halladay. If they want to compete in that division, they'll have to go from the ground up like Tampa did, so getting a group of prospects for a new team core would be the way to go.

Last edited by a moderator:
A package like this looks to be headed Toronto's way:

From Philadelphia
Michael Taylor or Domonic Brown
Travis D'Arnaud

From Seattle
Phillipe Aumount
Michael Saunders or Tyson Gillies
Brandon Morrow (maybe)

If that's the case, that's one hell of a haul for the Jays. A lot more than anyone would have thought. Might have needed another pitcher, though.

This deal keeps getting more complicated.

To PHI: Roy Halladay, Phillipe Aumount, Tyson Gillies
To SEA: Cliff Lee
To TOR: Kyle Drabek, Michael Taylor, Travis D'Arnaud

Plus there might be more prospects involved. We'll have to wait for more info.

Wow!

This deal keeps getting more complicated.

To PHI: Roy Halladay, Phillipe Aumount, Tyson Gillies
To TOR: Kyle Drabek, Michael Taylor, Travis D'Arnaud

Plus there might be more prospects involved. We'll have to wait for more info.

Wow!

And I thought I used to understand this deal. Now it is just like a farm system swap meet.

And I thought I used to understand this deal. Now it is just like a farm system swap meet.
Yeah, it's all kinds of crazy.

I'm actually shocked the Phillies did this. They gave up two of their top three prospects and a guy who was lights out in the postseason for Halladay.

They could have just given up 4-5 prospects to get Halladay last July. They finally gave in a moved the "untouchable" Kyle Drabek (not sure why he was so untouchable), yet they wouldn't move him for another half season of Halladay, who is going to sign a slightly below-market contract extension?

Oy.

And now it looks like the Jays and A's will swap Taylor and Brett Wallace. If the M's weren't getting Lee so cheap, I'd say the A's would be the big winners of this mega deal.

The latest...

To PHI: Roy Halladay (+ extension, cash), Phillipe Aumont, Tyson Gillies, Juan Ramirez
To TOR: Kyle Drabek, Travis D'Arnaud, Brett Wallace
To OAK: Michael Taylor

Crazy, crazy stuff.

I grew up playing ball with Michael Taylor. I just want him to get his shot.
Oh he will. He's one of the best five-tool prospects in the minors.

The A's, despite their offensive deficiencies, are gonna have a couple thumpers in the lineup in the not too distant near future in Taylor and Chris Carter.

Back