Best Bet/Worst Investment?

jayne

Bench Warmer
What's the one card you treated like a king, but turned out to be the biggest dud? You know, you bought extras, all were in dust jackets, hidden from harsh light, maybe even autographed eventually. Likewise, what one card did you toss aside, let bend, get wet and get dusty under your bed that turned out to be worth a mint? Or worse, you put them on the spokes of your bike wheels during the Fourth of July parades?

That would be most of my collection lol

Instead, I'll give you an example of what my brother did with comics way back. He bought 5o copies of Alpha Flight # 1, thinking it was an investment. Twenty years later I could buy a copy for a couple bucks...not much more than the cover-price lol

That would be most of my collection lol

Instead, I'll give you an example of what my brother did with comics way back. He bought 5o copies of Alpha Flight # 1, thinking it was an investment. Twenty years later I could buy a copy for a couple bucks...not much more than the cover-price lol
That's me with coins. Oh, I think I resold all mine for face value. Heck, some might have been worth LESS than that. lol.

Uh oh, the Nolan Ryan one can't be good. Lol. I remember when I was a little kid, my dad bought me and my brother Hank Aaron cards (heck they could have been rookie for all I know). I decided mine would go well in the heating duct. Never saw that again. :(

I'm pretty sure at no point did I ever get any card worthwhile... I was a child and really didn't have the wherewithal to know which cards had worth, and which ones were just garbage. To me, the joy was in owning a collection at all rather than searching for a card that was worth more than the rest.

Back