Football Bears' Urlacher denies criticizing Cutler

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Chicago Bears head coach Lovie Smith said the controversy surrounding alleged insults Brian Urlacher made about Jay Cutler is a "non-issue."

The Bears began reporting to training camp on Thursday in Bourbonnais, and Smith opened camp with a news conference. One of the first subjects he was asked about was what Minnesota Vikings receiver Bobby Wade said on a Minneapolis radio station on Wednesday. During that interview, Wade said that while spending last weekend in Las Vegas with Urlacher, the Bears linebacker used a disparaging word in describing Cutler as soft.

"I have talked to the players," Smith said. "Whenever something comes up, you have to address it, but it's a non-issue."

Urlacher told the Chicago Tribune on Wednesday that he didn't make the remark. According to that story, Wade was thinking about apologizing to Smith, but Smith said that didn't happen.

"I don't talk to players from other teams," Smith said.

Smith said it's important for players from all units to get along, and he said there are no chemistry issues on his team.

"These side stories come up every year," Smith said. "You assume something comes up like that. It comes out of nowhere.

"I spent more time right now talking about that story than it deserves. That's no story. We have a season we're getting ready to start. For the last time, there's nothing to that story. If you find something legitimate, come to me then."

Smith said that since Cutler was acquired in a trade with the Denver Broncos on April 2, he's earned the respect of his new teammates by what he's done on the field.

"Every opportunity to become a better player on our team, he's done," Smith said. "We have a great group of veteran players, and we don't have issues on our club."

Back