Basketball Arenas suspended

ewilkens said:
I dont know the specifics of the law, just what I've heard, but I belive it's no guns in DC, period. Probably b/c so many important government officials are there. But yeah, the arena alone would be enough to make it very illegal.
I don't know their laws.....but it CAN'T be NO guns - Constitution doesn't allow it. I can see it being guns only at home for self protection - but can't be NONE at all...

here is a snippet of the law

DC law said:
....legislation will allow handguns to be kept in the home if they are used only for self-defense and carry fewer than 12 rounds of ammunition.

Handguns, as well as other legal firearms such as rifles and shotguns, also must be kept unloaded and disassembled, or equipped with trigger locks — unless there is a "reasonably perceived threat of immediate harm" in the home.

BHELSER1981 said:
I don't know their laws.....but it CAN'T be NO guns - Constitution doesn't allow it. I can see it being guns only at home for self protection - but can't be NONE at all...

but DC also isn't a part of any state, and states are most responsible for their laws regarding guns (with the exception of whats written in the constitution)

For instance if Burress woulda shot himself in the leg at a club in Atlanta, he might not be doing 2 years. But in NY, their laws are a lot stricter.

Like I said, I don't know the exactities of it, but DC is harsh, and Arenas is in deep crap

Wikipedia said:
Washington, D.C., has enacted a number of strict gun-restriction laws. The Firearms Control Regulations Act of 1975 prohibited residents from owning handguns, excluding those registered prior to February 5, 1977; however, this law was subsequently overturned in March 2007 by the United States Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit in Parker v. District of Columbia.[35] The ruling was upheld in June 2008 by the Supreme Court of the United States in District of Columbia v. Heller. Both courts held that the city's handgun ban violated individuals' Second Amendment right to gun ownership.[36] However, the ruling does not prohibit all forms of gun control; laws requiring firearm registration remain in place, as does the city's assault weapon ban.[37] Additionally, city laws still prohibit carrying guns, both openly and concealed.[38]

read that how you want... They're not "banned" b/c its unconstitutional, but it's illegal to carry one openly or concealed...

so I'm guessing anywhere but at home is HIGHLY illegal

Glad to hear it. He deserves to be suspended for the rest of this year and even all of next year would be good too. I would like to see him do significant jailtime as well.

ewilkens said:
read that how you want... They're not "banned" b/c its unconstitutional, but it's illegal to carry one openly or concealed...

so I'm guessing anywhere but at home is HIGHLY illegal

Yep! Anyone in the US can own a firearm as long as they have no criminal records, felonies, etc. Like DC though some states have stricter laws on what they can be used for or where carried.

Man I love living in Texas :woo:

A new Washington Post report has chilling details concerning a confrontation believed to have taken place between Gilbert Arenas and Javaris Crittenton in the Wizards locker room.

Arenas reportedly told Crittenton that he brought in some guns to make it easy for him to shoot Arenas over a gambling argument, while Crittenton told him he didn't need those, as he had his own - which he then loaded and cocked, according to unnamed witnesses. Crittenton's gun was never found, which means the authorities would have a hard time building a case against him. But this probably means that Crittenton is not in the clear with David Stern. Jan. 6 - 10:59 pm et
Source: Washington Post

ha...i was going to quote "The Hangover" since we're talking about "is it legal/illegal for guns"...if you have seen the movie, you'll know the quote i'm talking about..if you havent see it, you must! :)

Arenas' Wounds Are Self-Inflicted

The reason Gilbert Arenas had to leave now, the reason he has gone from frivolous to dangerous, is that he doesn't seem to grasp the concept of consequences.

When you meld that trait with a known penchant for harboring guns, you have a threat. That's what Gilbert has to be considered now. At the very least, he's a threat to this image-conscious league's perception in the public eye. At the worst & well, Jayson Williams has been on my mind this week, and not because he was arrested on a DUI charge Tuesday. Long before Arenas and his quirky Agent Zero persona came along, Williams was the reigning prankster in the NBA. Williams told jokes at the expense of Yinka Dare and Benoit Benjamin and was one of the best quotes in the NBA. Then in 2002, after he had retired, he was accused of killing a chauffeur while playing around with a shotgun in his house (manslaughter charges resulted in a mistrial and an acquittal).

Maybe Arenas is the type who would pull the trigger only under the most extreme circumstances, if he or his family members were in danger. But I don't give him the benefit of the doubt on any judgment calls now, not when he could be so reckless and put the remaining $80 million of his contract in jeopardy.

There's a history of money squabbles prompting player-to-player hostility in the NBA, with perpetrators from Charles Oakley to Kobe Bryant. And there have even been tales of players pulling guns on teammates before, including Vernon Maxwell getting his gat after an argument with Houston Rockets teammate Carl Herrera. But Arenas crossed a line when he tried to end his card-game argument with Javaris Crittenton with a display of guns in the locker room, a blatant violation of David Stern's ban on firearms on NBA property.

By J.A. Adande
ESPN.com

NBA: Wizards plan to fine players

The Washington Wizards plan to fine some players for participating in Gilbert Arenas' on-court antics that made light of his gun troubles, an NBA official said Thursday.

The official told The Associated Press that the team is reviewing details from the Tuesday night game at Philadelphia before determining who will be fined and how much. The official has direct knowledge of the team's plans and spoke on condition of anonymity because the review was still ongoing.

Before the game, Arenas was surrounded by his teammates when he knelt on the court and pointed his index fingers at them, as if he were firing guns. A photograph shows nearly all the players laughing or smiling.

The official said the fines would be contingent in part on whether Arenas and his teammates planned it ahead of time.

Arenas was suspended indefinitely without pay by the NBA on Wednesday for bringing guns to the Verizon Center and related incidents, including a locker room spat with teammate Javaris Crittenton that involved firearms. Commissioner David Stern was particularly upset that Arenas joked about it, adding that the player was "not currently fit to take the court."

The Wizards also rebuked Arenas and the players who found his behavior "amusing," saying their actions were "unacceptable." The team is owned by the family of the late Abe Pollin, who changed the team's name from Bullets because of the violent connotation. The Wizards have told Arenas to stay away from games, practices and other team functions.

Arenas is also under investigation by federal and local authorities for possible violations of the strict gun laws in the nation's capital, and evidence is being presented to a grand jury. Because the Verizon Center in a designated "gun free zone" -- within 1,000 feet of a day care center -- Arenas would be subject to twice the fine or jail sentence if he is convicted.

Also Thursday, a huge Arenas banner was removed from the side of the Verizon Center by order of the team. Several stories tall, the banner featured Arenas dribbling a ball, staring straight ahead, with the team slogan "Character, Commitment, Connection" superimposed on his image.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Jamison says photo taken out of context

It's been no fun being a member of the Washington Wizards.

They are in last place, despite high expectations. They mourned the death of longtime owner Abe Pollin in November. Now one of their captains is suspended indefinitely and in deep legal trouble, while other players are catching flak for laughing at one of his antics.

"It's been going on too long -- long enough," forward Antawn Jamison said Friday. "We're definitely sick of it, too much negative publicity, and I think guys are just to the point where we just want to get some positive publicity and turn things around and start winning some games, start having fun. We haven't had fun in a while, so my New Year's resolution is just to have fun, go out there and play hard and do everything possible to start winning."

The Wizards face the weighty task of setting aside the season's worth of distractions and moving forward without leading scorer Gilbert Arenas, banned indefinitely by the NBA while under investigation by federal and local authorities for possible violations of the strict gun laws in the nation's capital. Arenas has acknowledged keeping guns in his locker at the Verizon Center and taking them out in a "misguided effort to play a joke" on a teammate.

"The difficulty is not only that you're missing a good player, but just the whole situation," coach Flip Saunders said. "The dynamics of what's happening, as far as having to talk to people and things like that. Anytime there's focus away from what you're trying to do as a team, it's not conducive for you to be at the top of your game. It's something we have to fight through."

The Wizards, whose team president before the season of spoke of wanting "to do some damage" in the playoffs, entered Friday night's game against the Orlando Magic with an 11-22 record. But the Wizards' No. 1 challenge isn't stopping the likes of Dwight Howard -- it's trying to carry on while the likes of Letterman and Leno are making fun of the team on national television.

Some of Arenas' teammates could be in a bit of trouble for joining in the fun. A photograph taken before Tuesday's game at Philadelphia shows most of the roster smiling or laughing while Arenas points his index fingers at them, as if he were firing a pair of guns. The Wizards are planning to fine some of the players for displaying such levity over a serious matter, an NBA official with direct knowledge of the team's plans has told The Associated Press.

The fines could be contingent in part on whether the incident was planned ahead of time by Arenas and teammates. Jamison, the only player made available to reporters after Friday morning's shootaround, was one of the players smiling in the photograph, but he said the picture doesn't tell the whole story.

"A lot of guys didn't know what was going to take place," Jamison said. "A lot of guys didn't see that happening. I know you see the photo and you see a certain image, but that photo doesn't justify the way guys viewed the whole situation. Once again, it's just another use of poor judgment."

Jamison futher implied that Arenas was acting on his own.

"You think we're going to initiate something serious like that?" Jamison said. "If you know me, you shouldn't ask that question."

The photograph was one of the final straws for commissioner David Stern, who had intended to wait until the legal process played out before taking action against Arenas. Instead, Stern announced the suspension the following day, declaring Arenas "not currently fit to take the court" and warning of potentially worse sanctions down the road.

With Arenas away -- the team has told him not to attend practices, games or other team functions -- there are matters mundane and wide-ranging to consider.

Who starts at point guard? Earl Boykins started in Arenas' spot Wednesday at Cleveland, but Saunders said he prefers to have Boykins come off the bench and that another player -- likely Randy Foye -- would take the court at tipoff against Orlando.

Arenas was one of three team captains -- although there was always debate as to whether he was suited for that role -- but Saunders said will not name a replacement. Jamison and Caron Butler are the other captains.

Then there's the future of the roster as a whole. The Wizards could try to void the remainder of Arenas' six-year, $111 million by invoking a morals clause, and team president Ernie Grunfeld might break up the rest of the struggling team as the trade deadline approaches.

"It's going to affect not only the people's lives involved, but our lives as well," Jamison said. "We don't have one of the best players in the league, that's affecting everybody. Changes might happen, that's affecting everybody."

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Wiz fine Blatche, McGee, Foye, Young

Four Washington Wizards players have been fined $10,000 apiece for making light of Gilbert Arenas' antics before Tuesday's game at Philadelphia.

The fines were assessed Friday night to Andray Blatche, JaVale McGee, Randy Foye and Nick Young.

The four players were among a group that surrounded Arenas when he pointed his index fingers at teammates as if he were firing a pair of guns during a pregame huddle. A photo shows most of the players smiling or laughing.

"It was foolish, stupid, immature," said Foye, one of the four Wizards fined, "but I've got to be a man and accept my penalty and I apologize to the fans and the organization for behaving in that manner."

Arenas has been banned indefinitely by the NBA while under investigation by federal and local authorities for possible violations of the strict gun laws in the nation's capital.

Antawn Jamison addressed the sellout crowd before Friday night's 104-97 win over the Orlando Magic and spoke of being "very embarrassed."

"We never meant to make light of the situation," Jamison said.

The team is doing its best to remove all traces of Arenas from the Verizon Center, the place where he infamously brought some guns to work.

Coach Flip Saunders said he met with the grand jury investigating Arenas on Thursday, and some of his players were giving their versions of the story on Friday between the morning shootaround and the game against the Magic. Foye said he met with authorities for some two hours, and DeShawn Stevenson said Fabricio Oberto did as well. Stevenson said he met with his lawyer and will go before the grand jury soon.

"I just went in there, everything I said was truthful," Foye said without elaborating. "I was honest with authorities."

Saunders also confirmed he banned gambling on the team plane on Dec. 21, the date of the locker room confrontation between Arenas and Javaris Crittenton in which Arenas pulled out guns he was keeping in his locker. Various reports have given conflicting details of what happened between the two players, but their dispute began during a card game on a trip home from the West Coast two days earlier.

Saunders said he instituted the ban because gambling "led to a confrontation" and he wanted "to avoid those situations" from happening again.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Arenas reaches plea agreement

Washington Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas has been charged with a felony in connection with last month's locker room confrontation with a teammate.

But, Arenas has reached a plea agreement that would result in little or no jail time, several sources close to the case told The Washington Post. The newspaper had reported if convicted, Arenas could face a maximum five years in jail and a fine.

Arenas is expected to plead guilty Friday afternoon before D.C. Superior Court Judge Robert E. Morin, The Post reported. His court appearance is scheduled for 2:30 p.m. ET.

Arenas, who last week was suspended indefinitely without pay by NBA commissioner David Stern, was charged with carrying a pistol without a license outside a home or business.

The charges were filed in D.C. Superior Court in an "information," a document that generally signals a plea deal. The charge came directly from prosecutors and not in the form of an indictment.

"We are aware of the charge filed against Gilbert Arenas today and will continue to follow the ongoing legal process very carefully," the Wizards said in a statement issued Thursday. "We will also continue to cooperate fully with the proper authorities and the NBA."

Arenas' lawyer had no immediate comment. The NBA also declined to comment.

Arenas, a three-time All-Star, had admitted to taking unloaded guns out of his locker in a "misguided effort to play a joke" on a teammate following a gambling dispute during a team flight.

Arenas has said he kept multiple guns in his locker at the Verizon Center. He claims he wanted to keep them away from his children and didn't know it was illegal.

At least seven Wizards players and coach Flip Saunders have appeared before a grand jury or been questioned by authorities regarding the matter.

The teammate involved in the spat, Javaris Crittenton, had authorities search his apartment for a semiautomatic handgun in connection with the incident on Thursday afternoon but no evidence was seized.

The outcome of the legal process will have profound implications for Arenas' future in the NBA and with the Wizards specifically. Possession of a gun at an NBA arena is a violation of the league's collective bargaining agreement. Stern was particularly upset that Arenas joked about the matter and said that Arenas' conduct will "ultimately result in a substantial suspension, and perhaps worse."

The Wizards could also attempt to invoke the morals clause found in standard NBA contracts and void the remainder of the six-year, $111 million deal Arenas signed in summer 2008. The players' union would almost certainly contest such a move.

"We will continue to lend our full support to Gilbert and will assist him in every way possible to see this matter through," union executive director Billy Hunter said.

Arenas has played in only 34 games since signing the contract because of a knee injury and the guns-related suspension. He was averaging 22.6 points and 7.2 assists this season for the Wizards, who are 12-25 and in last place in the NBA's Southeast Division.

Information from the Associated Press was used in this report

Back