Baseball AL All-Star Analysis

intelliracer

Bench Warmer
Catcher - Ivan Rodriguez (DET) - OK, this is the biggest fan error in both leagues. With numbers of .281, 8 HR, and 43 RBI, how does this guy deserve to be an All-Star. Check out these other AL catchers. 1) Jorge Posada (a reserve player but also my choice for a starting spot): .336, 9 HR, and 45 RBI. 2) Victor Martinez (a reserve player): .323, 14 HR, and 63 RBI.

1B - David Ortiz (BOS) - There is an argument for two Red Sox in my opinion. One is Papi and the other is possibly the biggest snub from both leagues Kevin Youkilis. How can Justin "Overrated" Morneau (.278, 20 HR, 61 RBI) get the nod over Youkilis (.329, 9 HR, 44 RBI)? Sure Morneau has more dingers, but is that really what this is about? That is what Home Run Derby is about, but not always the All-Star Game.

2B - Placido Polanco (DET) - All I have to say is that if Robinson Cano would've won this spot, I probably wouldn't watch baseball ever again. Brian Roberts is also the proper back-up.

3B - Alex Rodriguez (NYY) - Obviously Rodriguez won his position with a landslide, gaining the most votes of all players. With a .330 average and 28 home runs, there was no one even close to the caliber of A-Rod at 3B. And while I would've loved to have seen Casey Blake as the back-up, Mike Lowell is the correct pick for it.

SS - Derek Jeter (NYY) - Again, the best player at his position this season (even though he could be hitting .200 and still have won this spot even if someone was hitting .400 with 35 HRs). Carlos Guillen shouldn't be the first back-up and netiher should Michael Young. Orlando Cabrera is hitting 40 points higher than Young and has similar power numbers, and is also hitting better than Guillen. However, Guillen is from Leyland's team and does have better power numbers. He still is one of the big snubs.

OF - Vladimir Guerrero (LAA) - Vlady is awesome. The guy hits ball at his face. If I were the National League's picther, I would talk to him beforehand and tell that I was going to throw fastballs over the plate but at eye level just to watch the guy hack at them.

OF - Magglio Ordonez (DET) - For a while, Mags wasn't getting much notice in the voting. And if he didn't start, I again, probably would stop watching baseball. Ordonez is having the best season of any player in the Major Leagues, and is deserving of this selection.

OF - Ichiro Suzuki (SEA) - The guy is hitting .368 and is one of the most consistent players in the league. Enough said.

American league picthers:

Dan Haren (OAK) - 9-2 with a 2.20 ERA. My choice for starter. Having a beast of a year, you can't go wrong.

Josh Beckett (BOS) - 11-2 with a 3.38 ERA and leading Boston to the Eastern Division lead, the guy for sure is the right choice.

C.C. Sabathia (CLE) - 12-2 with a 3.20 ERA. You can argue that he should start the game for the AL, and he is just dominating everyone so why not put him on the All-Star team? Did you know that he has 116 strikeouts and just 17 walks?

John Lackey (LAA) - 11-5 with a 3.04 ERA. The anchor of the Angels stellar staff makes a fine All-Star selection.

Gil Meche (KC) - I guess the Royals have to have a player.

Johan Santana (MIN) - 9-6 with a 2.76 ERA. Poor guy gets no run support and strikes out everyone. Put him with all this offense, andhe would dominate every time out.

Justin Verlander (DET) - 9-3 with a 3.18 ERA. You wonder if Leyland will go with his boy for the start? I suppose there is an argument for it, but Haren or C.C. would win out every time.

Francisco Rodriguez (LAA) - 27 saves with a 2.27 ERA. The guy is the new Trevor Hoffman was is always an All-Star.

Jonathon Papelbon (BOS) - 19 saves with a 1.50 ERA. Pappy allows a hit every 2 innings, walks a man every 3 innings, allows a run every six innings, and has struck out 42 in 30 IP. Dominant.

Bobby Jenks (CHI) - 22 saves with a 2.76 ERA. Because he is the White Sox's lone representative is probably the only reason he is here over Joe Borowski.

J.J. Putz (SEA) - 23 saves with a 0.92 ERA. Wait a 0.92 ERA? Yep, 4 runs in 39 innings, and he strikes out a batter at better than one an inning.

You got to keep a few things in mind when looking at this.

1) All of us fans voted for the starters. Therefore, popularity beats numbers everytime. That's why Ivan Rodriguez got the spot over Victor Martinez, for example.

2) Another 1/3 was picked by the players of MLB. They chose what they felt was deserving & Manny Ramirez.:D

3) Jim Leyland only had 2 spots that he got to chose after the team representative rule was done. He went with Sizemore & someone else. NO GARY SHEFFIELD!!!

4) There are always snubs no matter what year it is, so get use to it if you aren't already.

yeah i cant believe manny made it and shef didnt get in that is just insane. it also drives me crazy that bonds is now starting over soriano that is just flat bs it is all set up so that bonds can start in san fran

chris

tigsfan said:
You got to keep a few things in mind when looking at this.

1) All of us fans voted for the starters. Therefore, popularity beats numbers everytime. That's why Ivan Rodriguez got the spot over Victor Martinez, for example.

2) Another 1/3 was picked by the players of MLB. They chose what they felt was deserving & Manny Ramirez.:D

3) Jim Leyland only had 2 spots that he got to chose after the team representative rule was done. He went with Sizemore & someone else. NO GARY SHEFFIELD!!!

4) There are always snubs no matter what year it is, so get use to it if you aren't already.

1) Which is why MLB needs to do something about it.

2) The players did very well, other than Ramirez

3) Not sure if that is accurate or not, but I'll take your word on it. And Grady Sizemore got Sheffield's spot which is the correct move.

4) Yes there are always snubs, but I don't hear you telling the experts on ESPN to get used to it.

oglesbyc said:
yeah i cant believe manny made it and shef didnt get in that is just insane. it also drives me crazy that bonds is now starting over soriano that is just flat bs it is all set up so that bonds can start in san fran

chris

Of my predicted starting NL outfield, none of them are starting. I had Soriano, Brynes, and Holliday. Bonds should be in reserve, but he should not be higher than Brynes. I can't believe he missed the team.

i totally agree holliday should def be starting he is not i would like to know what kind of numbers that you have to have to start in the all star game. holliday is leading the nl in batting average (or at least he was yesterday not sure what lee did yesterday). beltran is having a so so year nothing great though and bonds only got the start because of his name and it is in san franciso that is why. griffey is having a great year so far and belive that he deserves the start. but they need to get away from only looking at the big names and start looking at some of the younger producers like holliday, barnes, not sure if he made the team or not but what about ryan braun from milwaukee check his numbers out been one of the hottest hitter in the first half of the season he is batting over 340 right now. And have not even heard his name brought up sorry just my rant.

chris

I think 4 Angels got snubbed: K. Escobar, C. Kotchman, C. Figgins, and O. Cabrera in the AL. How you have M. Young over Cabrera is mind boggling. NL snubs I say Adam Dunn, Ryan Howard and Howard's teammate J. Rollins got the biggest snub. My recommendation for the last players added is simple when people vote after the rosters are announced get 5 batters and 5 pitchers when the people vote the top batter and top pitcher remaining of those 5 go to the mid-summer's classic.

Lon

ljmaya said:
I think 4 Angels got snubbed: K. Escobar, C. Kotchman, C. Figgins, and O. Cabrera in the AL. How you have M. Young over Cabrera is mind boggling. NL snubs I say Adam Dunn, Ryan Howard and Howard's teammate J. Rollins got the biggest snub. My recommendation for the last players added is simple when people vote after the rosters are announced get 5 batters and 5 pitchers when the people vote the top batter and top pitcher remaining of those 5 go to the mid-summer's classic.

Lon

There is no way Rollins is the biggest NL snub. That goes to Eric Brynes no doubt. I do agree on Cabrera, but Kotchman and Figgins aren't snubs either.

Hey all, check out the NL analysis.

Michael Young is the only Texas Rangers player this year. I don't know what other Ranger deserved it with Blalock & Texeira out with injuries along with Gagne.

tigsfan said:
Michael Young is the only Texas Rangers player this year. I don't know what other Ranger deserved it with Blalock & Texeira out with injuries along with Gagne.

Good point man, I honestly didn't notice that.

Back