Baseball 2015 Topps Heritage HIGH NUMBERS

Taliasen

From a pack deep in the north country...
Transactions: 2
Per Box Items:
24 packs per box
9 cards per pack
1 autograph or relic

2015 Topps Heritage High Numbers tag line is "The top rookies of 2015 in the 1966 Topps card design." The cards are standard card size and thickness. The simple design of the white bordered cards are just that. The card fronts feature most action shots of the named players although there are a few posed pictures as well. The player name and position are in a colored bar along the card bottom and the team name is in a bar in the upper left corner. The set logo is opposite. The the graphical "bars' on the card and color of the font loosely correspond to the teams colors. The card backs are photo-less and are horizontally laid out. The backs contain moderate biographical information, moderate career highlights, complete career statistics and "comic fact."

What I pulled:

194 base set cards - 194 of the 200 base high numbers set
6 short prints (out of 25 SP cards for the master set)
12 inserts
2 chrome parallels
1 Action variation
1 autograph redemption
1 box topper

Base card front and back:

Inserts and Chrome Parallels:
(not all scanned)
3 Rookie Performers
3 Award Winners
3 Cornerstone Connections
3 Now and Then
Plawecki chrome refractor ##566
Smith chrome #/999

Short Prints:
(card #'s 701-725)

Correa Action Variation:

The Hit:

Jung Ho Kang Special Edition autograph redemption #/66

Continuing their run of Retro and throwback sets, Topps went with the 1966 design for this year's Heritage and High Numbers sets. I have never been a huge fan of retro card sets but I do like the Heritage designs over "art-style" sets. If they are going to recycle a card design, I also like the they give the treatment to both major and minor league players. Yes, the hit is a redemption, but wow, it is a hot one! The action variation cards will be a fun chase. There are also "color swap' variations. This is where the color of the bars in the top corner and bottom of the cards change color with the fonts. For the Correa card the bars are black and the font is green. The color swap variations appear to be much rarer then even the actions variations.

The Bottom Line:

I always give high marks for pulling a near complete set from one box! You should be able to complete the whole high numbers set with just a box and a trade or two. 2015 Topps Heritage Minor league will appeal mostly to set builders and prospectors. Buy a box and trade your Tigers players to me!

The Final Score:

Final Ratings (Out of 5):
Base set collect-ability: 5/5
Big-hit Hunter: 5/5
Prospector Hunter: 5/5
Overall Design: 4/5
Fun: 5/5
Value: 4/5
Re-buy: 4/5
Overall Quality: 4/5

Overall: 36/40 (90%) = A

Thanks to Topps for making this review possible!

Tal

One of the more popular products.. but personally, I am NOT a fan of Heritage. I have always thought it was cheap.. reminds me of the first product of the year from Press Pass (NASCAR and Football).

The only issue I have with these types of products is I don't like the constant reuse of old designs. OK, an insert set or something...that's fine. But to reuse old designs for an entire new product just seems like a really cheap to me. I think these companies should be fresh with designs and not rely on the past so much.

Back