2014 Winter Olympics

sliqwill

Prospect
Transactions: 1
The games have begun. Im not a fan of NBCs handling of the Olympics and very few live events, so they can run the 'high profile' stuff on prime time.

I think the big story will be from our little skater ladies. Gracie Gold vs Ash Wagner, I know anytime those two are on the ice itll be tape delay because it could turn out like Kerrigan vs Harding, minus the knee getting broken...Wagner got on the team because of sponsorship, she finished 4th and they can only take 3, so they bumped a girl to get her in, as they are trying to make her the face of the games...

I hope they have lots of curling on again this year, I think it was MSNBC or Lifetime last time around, if you get a chance, check out Team Norway Mens Curling team...they are pretty awesome...

lots of issues coming out of Russia about not being ready and costing more than all the previous winter games combined, no paper in toilets, it goes in the bucket, and no fishing in the toilets, the tap water looks like tang...its like walking into a 3rd world country (I can say that, ive been to several and know the shambles)

not sure how safe I would feel down there, but I do know that I watch much less of the winter games than the summer games....im a bit of a curling nerd, but I will watch some ladies figure skating, all the speed skating, ski jump, and maybe some bobsled/luge/skeleton...that's about it...

cant wait for the good stuff to start

I've never really gotten into the winter games much. None of the events jump out at me as much watch events. I do like watching the swimming events in the summer games as well as some of the gymnastic events. I, honestly, doubt I'll watch a single minute of the winter games. :cautious:

I work from home 80% of the time so I am usually able to watch a lot of live events during the day. This year I have to go on a business trip from Sunday to Sunday. Not complaining though because the destination is a conference in vegas and then will spend 3 days in SoCal for a friends wedding. I will miss the olympics though.

Edit: forgot to add the TV Listings website for those who may have time during the day to watch. http://www.nbcolympics.com/tv-listings

I actually love all of the Olympic events and will watch as much as I can but I am usually pretty busy so it will not really ne that much. It just adds a little extra when you are rooting for the USA!

good link that Rob (Fish sucks), looks like Curling starts Monday morning...

early report of the Opening Ceremonies being botched pretty bad, not good when only 4 of the 5 Olympic rings light up

I'm a pretty avid Olympics watcher, I just like seeing US athletes do well. Curling is pretty interesting to watch that involves a lot of tactics. The two other events I enjoy are speed skating because people crash into the wall because they are absolutely ruthless, and the biathlon because when they miss their targets they have to do another lap.

Team USA looking terrible in curling thus far, and Team Norway isn't wearing super crazy pants, but I guess they have 3 different outfits they will be sporting for the games...

I see NBC is running less Ashley Wagner promos and increasing the Gracie Gold promos...also during womans ski jump they kept bring up Lindsay Van and how she is responsible for getting the Womens jump into the Olympics...cant wait for Costas to talk about this again during the primetime...wish they would talk more about her than just the suit against the IOC from Vancouver

whats up with all the empty seats at the indoor venues?...seriously, pairs skating, which I don't care for, I like the ladies singles, is missing lots of close seats that are empty, and the short track 500 speed skating was terrible...at least make an effort to pack the place...I would be willing to bet that the local Curling House (45 minutes away) is packed when ANY curling is on TV, and they start up leagues after the Olympic hype...did a video shoot for class down there and I think the house holds 50 and there were like 300 people there, and they let everyone that wanted to throw some stones, a chance to play an end...

I think they only allocated like 7% of tickets for locals. Like every other major sporting event the tickets are to tightly controlled (world cup, super bowl) for maximum profit. I heard they were giving away tickets.

shocked the Canadian didn't come on and say something about Jeff Carters hat trick the other day...

pretty good US v Russia about to end now, ladies skating starts back up tomorrow

Russia running up the score on Norway in hockey...

I get it a bit, but really, do you need to score 2 empty net goals when already up 2-0?

Norway brought the goalie back in...terrible sportsmanship on Russia...

speaking of poor sportsmanship, Canada is whining that Charlie and Meryl won ice dancing over the Canadians...I didn't watch it because im not into dude figure skating, but come on...

one of the snowboarding events the americans were hugging the aussie awaiting the results for the final pass to get scored, they knew they were all 3 getting medals and they were hugging it out before knowing who got what...

if you want to talk at least try to be classy with it, watched a little piece on Gracie Gold today where she was talking about the Russian and said 'she is the best, but she can be beat'...and yeah, everyone has a bad day from time to time, if the Russian has a bad day there are several girls that can beat her...cant wait for the skating to start

Back