4) Jonathan Dwyer – Georgia Tech
5) Ben Tate - Auburn
6) Toby Gerhart - Stanford
7) Dexter McCluster (WR/RB) – Ole Miss
8) Montario Hardesty - Tennessee
9) Joe McKnight - USC
10) LeGarrette Blount - Oregon

Position Grade: B
At the conclusion of the college season, I expected this class to be a bit lower in quality than its current grade. It has unexpected depth that I didn’t anticipate early on.

Further Analysis:

I’m personally higher on Best, Hardesty, and Tate than many scouts. Best is a game breaker with bad luck, but I’ve seen bad luck players at Cal succeed in the pro’s. I think Hardesty’s one cut style makes him an ideal value for a team like Houston or Washington in the middle rounds. Tate was not used to his strength in the spread form, so whoever drafts him could get an unexpected boost in production and efficiency.

I’m a bit lower on Mathews than the experts. I could just be digging here, but there is something inconsistent with his size and how he plays. Plays big and upright, but really is not that big of a RB, and got banged up a number of times in a mid-level conference. Plus with a 4.33 shuttle time, it was consistent with what often looked like stiff footwork. I’m ready to look bad on this one if it comes down to that, but can’t get away from what I’ve seen in games.

Feel free to discuss anything Running Back-related here.

Spiller, Best and Mathews are all first-round prospects. Best has the best chance of falling, IMO.

Dwyer was once a first-round lock, but his off-season struggles have hurt him.

Blount, despite the character concerns, is one of the most talented RBs in this draft.

Spiller, Best and Mathews are all first-round prospects. Best has the best chance of falling, IMO.

Dwyer was once a first-round lock, but his off-season struggles have hurt him.

Blount, despite the character concerns, is one of the most talented RBs in this draft.

Agreed on all accounts. I bet if Dwyer can get off to a good start somewhere, he'll produce at a high level in the near future. Blount needs to make sure the ball stays on him. Either he fumbles every time I watch Oregon football, or I'm just tuning in at the wrong times. Could be a great value for someone.

Back