Baseball Yanks land Granderson in a 3 team deal

HiEnd

Bench Warmer
Jon Paul Morosi of FOXSports.com reports that the Yankees have acquired OF Curtis Granderson as part of a three-team blockbuster deal with the Tigers and Diamondbacks.

The Yanks did really well here, snagging the 28-year-old Granderson for Ian Kennedy, Austin Jackson and Phil Coke. It's a small price to pay for a player of Granderson's talent and personality. As part of the three-way deal, Detroit will receive right-handers Max Scherzer and Daniel Schlereth from Arizona and Coke and Jackson from the Yanks. The D'Backs, meanwhile, receive a questionable return in Edwin Jackson from the Tigers and Kennedy from the Yanks. Granderson can be used in either left or center field in New York, giving general manager Brian Cashman some flexibility in regards to Johnny Damon and Hideki Matsui, who are now likely on the outs. It's safe to say the Tigers now have the payroll flexibility they wanted while securing a tremendous haul of young players. Dec. 8 - 2:19 pm et

It's like they knew about this back in 2007...

CabreraGranderson.jpg

but now the Tiger's fans view on this:

First of all, last I heard this isn't officially done.

Granderson was a fan favorite, like Pudge was, that nobody wanted traded. A mere week ago we thoughts that a "I'm out of my mind" offer is the only way Granderson is gone, which would never happen. I'm hoping that a physical fails or something so it doesn't happen. With TigerFest nearing, fans will have the chance to speak to GM Dave Dombrowski and they will give me a piece of their mind.

Right now there are a lot of upset Tigers fans. Many have stated in the past 2 weeks that no Granderson = not a Tiger fan anymore. I don't know if they have figured out that the projected revenue will take a bigger hit now...

It's a done deal

INDIANAPOLIS -- Curtis Granderson is headed to the Yankees, but the Tigers also appear to have made out well in the first big trade of the winter meetings.

The Yankees, Tigers and Diamondbacks have completed a complicated three-team deal that also sends All-Star pitcher Edwin Jackson to the Diamondbacks, sources told CBSSports.com. Granderson goes to New York, Jackson and Ian Kennedy (from the Yankees) go to Arizona, and the Tigers get four players who could all open the 2010 season on their major-league roster.

The Tigers get outfielder Austin Jackson and left-handed reliever Phil Coke from the Yankees, and get pitchers Max Scherzer and Daniel Schlereth from the Diamondbacks.

"I like every one of the four," said one rival major-league executive who has seen all the players. "What a haul."

The Tigers, who play in a city with a struggling economy and are saddled with several bad contracts, begin a transformation that they hope will keep them competitive in 2010, while setting them up to be in much better shape in 2011.

In Granderson, the Yankees get a left-handed hitting outfielder who some scouts believe could approach 40 home runs in Yankee Stadium. They would lessen the need to re-sign Johnny Damon, or put a lot more pressure on Damon to accept a shorter and cheaper deal if he wants to remain.

The Tigers get a starter to replace Edwin Jackson (Scherzer), and an outfielder to replace Granderson (Austin Jackson).

The Diamondbacks get a more proven starting pitcher (Edwin Jackson), who has 27 wins the last two years and could thrive in the National League West.

The talks were first reported by Foxsports.com.

Granderson stinks and Jackson was terrible down the stretch. Austin Jackson and Scherzer are super studs. Schlerth will help out too and Coke is a lefty we need in the pen

Granderson should hit 40 in that park,and his contract is cheap compared to what it would take to bring back either Matsui & or Damon

arod812 said:
Granderson stinks and Jackson was terrible down the stretch. Austin Jackson and Scherzer are super studs. Schlerth will help out too and Coke is a lefty we need in the pen
The only thing I could AGREE with there is the bolded statement. I actually wanted Edwin traded, he is due for a normal, non-2009 season. Time to address all that garbage you said though.

Granderson - How does 30 HR's stink? How does 20 SB's stink? A .272 career average sucks? I know he has some offensive weaknesses (and its no secret), but I would use stink. I'd make a bet we see him in at least a couple more AS games before its all said and done.

A. Jackson - How can somebody who hasn't played in the majors a stud? Remember Cameron Maybin? We thought he was a stud... until he got to the majors. Now we're lucky he went to the Marlins to be a AAAA player for the time being.

Scherzer - if you look at his numbers, they are very similar to those of Edwin Jackson. That being said, the stats aren't stud material to me. I would rank him as a #3 starter in the future base on the success he has had already.

Coke - Interesting, I thought we had enough left-handers. Does Willis, Robertson, Ni, and Seay ring a bell? See something in common? Yep, all were in the bullpen last year at one point. Now it looks like a 3 or 4 LHP bullpen depending on if Nate or Dontrelle make the rotation. Fu-Te Ni proved himself as a good lefty as well as Bobby Seay. We got no choice with the other two, they have to be somewhere. 2 lefties are plenty here.

Schlereth - we don't have a bullpen spot for him right now, so unless you meant help the Mudhens, he'll be the new Clay Rapada for a while. I see potential in him, so I'm not going to dis on him too much.

Back