Baseball Who is your hero? (baseball edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ac-n-mike

Bench Warmer
Lets bypass the whole "firefighters, police, soldiers and parents etc should be heros and not sports stars", and lets go back to thinking like kids for a bit....

WHO IS YOUR HERO ? and WHY?

When I was young I was into McGwire a little bit (besides the Tigers players), but now I stay away from him.;) I think my non-Tigers hero now would be Ivan Rodriguez. He was the one guy who believed in Detroit when nobody else did, and we ALMOST got him another WS ring for his efforts...

That would be my Dad...Pitched for the Ole Miss Rebels 1951-53..then went on as Pitcher/3rd base for the Meridian Millers `53-'54 which was a minor league team in what was called the Cotton States League at the time for St. Louis..He blew his arm up his second year in the minors. He always told me he did it playing 3rd base, coming in off the bench cold and not warming up good..Even though i was left handed, he still tought me how to pitch without hurting myself and how to throw numerous pitches (ball grip and such) RIP Dad, miss you!

LeeAlfordOleMiss1952.jpg

Couple of years ago, i went to Meridian Mississippi and found the old ballpark where he used to play..It was all grown up with weeds, but it still stands and the bleachers were still in tact. I stood on the old mound where he had taken the ball numerous times before i was even a thought..surreal it was!

Would have to say Frank Thomas. I collected him when I was a kid, and now am trying to collect him again. Just liked the way he hit and the way he played overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back