Basketball West returns to Cavs after extended absence

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
While the Cleveland Cavaliers played Olympiacos in a preseason game on Monday night, Delonte West was at the team's practice facility working with an assistant coach.

It was at least a starting point for West and the Cavaliers, who are delicately handling their talented but troubled guard.

West returned to practice on Tuesday, his first full team workout in a week.

"He was here today, I coached him today, we'll take tomorrow as it comes," coach Mike Brown said. "I'm not assuming or guessing anything. I'm just coaching the guys here on the floor."

West, who was not with his teammates Tuesday for the portion of practice open to the media, practiced for the first time since he unexpectedly missed the team's first exhibition game on Oct. 6. He is not expected to play in Cleveland's game Wednesday against Washington and there is no timetable for his return to game action.

West has been treated in the past for bipolar disorder. He was arrested in Maryland last month on misdemeanor weapons possession charges.

The Cavaliers have been without West more than they have had him since training camp opened. He skipped Cleveland's first two days of training camp without an excuse and then took another week -- with the team's blessing -- to tend to his personal and legal issues.

That's nothing new, since West missed 10 days during training camp last season before averaging 11.7 points, 3.8 assists and 3.2 rebounds during the regular season. Those numbers jumped to 13.8 points, 4.1 assists and 3.5 rebounds during the playoffs, when West was Cleveland's second-most effective player.

He has now missed nine total days during this camp, but Brown isn't concerned about the time lost.

"He's been with us for more than a year," Brown said. "We have not changed much at all. We've done a few new things offensively and defensively, but our concepts are still the same. He'll fit in fine. He's an intelligent player and a skill player. Because of the experience he's had with us and we've had with him, he'll start to jell sooner than later."

The Cavaliers have adjusted players' roles during West's absence.

Newcomer Anthony Parker, who started 71 games for Toronto last season, has filled in as the starter while Daniel Gibson has served as the team's primary backup point guard -- the role West often fills when starter Mo Williams is on the bench. Cleveland also signed Jamario Moon over the summer to provide more length and depth to the wing.

West may not be able to play 40 minutes right now, but Brown isn't concerned with his conditioning.

"I don't think that he'll ever get out of shape," Brown said. "He just has one of those types of bodies that I don't think that will ever happen."

Back