Baseball Walked away from a Babe Ruth Vintage at the Card Show...

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
I had heard a rumor on Saturday (February 7, 2015) that a vendor had a Babe Ruth Tobacco-style card for sale and was asking $100. I took a break when my father stopped by the show to take a few minutes to "walk around and look."

After looking through every display I could find, we found the Ruth, in a top loader and penny sleeve, with a price tag of $100.

The corners were rounded and the back was blank, as if the "card" had been cut out of a cereal box. I noticed there were corner marks on the back as if to say "cut here" and it was evident that the card had been trimmed. The sides were not straight, but had an arch or bend to the cut. The card was shorter than a tobacco card, but much wider (I would say it was easily a 1/4" shorter and a 1/4" wider). And the colors were vibrant!

The little ol' lady was a pleasure to chat with. I listened to her story of how she picked up a stack of Babe Ruth cards at an Estate sale. She thought that this card was special. She even had a person who authenticates cards look at it and he told here he could NOT verify if the card was real or not, but was able to tell her that the card had not a computer generated card, that it had been printed at a printers (not sure what that was suppose to mean... maybe she thought that would help sale it?). She even went so far as to tell me that the authenticator told her that he thought the card was a possible reprint.

She was kind enough to offer me this card for $50, but I passed it by... vibrant colors, not able to verify if the card was real... possible reprint. I suggested she send the card to PSA to have it authenticated, but she said no. She was not going to send it in and pay to have it authenticated and find out it was fake.

It's a shame when even little ol' ladies try to take advantage of the collector.

Back