Basketball Wade Edges LeBron In Battle For Best In the World

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Maybe there's something to Pat Riley's text messages to Dwyane Wade. After games like this, it's not too much of a stretch to call him the best in the world.

That's Riley's description/objective for Wade, which he sent him with cryptic messages reading BIW. While I find the concept of Riley texting acronyms to people hilarious, it's easy to imagine what he'd send to Wade after the Heat beat the Cavaliers 104-95 Tuesday night: "OMG Dwyane you were so awesome. You totally pwned LeBron! That's why you're my BFF. TTYL. -- Riles : )"

LeBron James got the points (38 of them), but Wade had the edge in every other major category -- assists, rebounds and most importantly the W. On this night he was the BIW. Quite simply, Wade means more to his team. He didn't get a Mo Williams to change the dynamic of the squad the way James and the Cavaliers did.

Miami isn't at the same elite level as Cleveland, even though the Heat beat the Cavaliers and the Lakers at home in the past two weeks. The Cavaliers are still a better all-around team and still have a better chance at the championship, which is why James is deservedly ahead of Wade in the MVP debate.

But every so often Wade, who happens to be the league's leading scorer, makes you stop to reconsider the pecking order in the NBA. None of the other NBA young guns (30 and under, a group that includes LeBron, Kobe Bryant, Carmelo Anthony, Tracy McGrady and Dwight Howard) has singlehandedly led his team to a championship the way Wade did with the Heat in 2006. And the fact that he has this year's squad -- with a rookie point guard and a rookie sixth man and a rookie coach -- at 17-13 and in the Eastern Conference playoff picture might be his greatest accomplishment yet.

"Dwyane has set the tone for this whole team since training camp," Miami Coach Erik Spoelstra said. "We wouldn't be able to do what we're doing defensively if he didn't come in with a total commitment. The first day of training camp he was the first one in each drill. Never misses a turn. He hasn't missed a practice yet ...

"He's paving the way for everybody. 'Here's how we do it at the Miami Heat.' He does it hard at practice."

Wade confessed that he might show up for every practice, but he isn't always on the court.

"Certain times I make sure I sit out and become a coach on the sideline," said Wade, whose body hasn't lasted past 51 games in each of the past two seasons, while spending his summers occupied with Team USA.

But he'll also cop to a different approach to this season, a more vocal leadership role, and a determination to make his imprint felt on this team.

"Having a year like last year," he said, "going through the season that we went through, knowing that when things go wrong, when things go good, I'm going to be the one that's going to take a hit either way. If I can take it when it's going well, I can take it when it's going bad. But I'm going to make sure we come out, make sure I help the young guys become better players, give them more confidence.

"It comes with growth as well. It comes with being around guys on the Olympic team and their leadership and seeing the things they do, and it makes you want to do it."

Udonis Haslem, in his sixth season with the Heat, has seen veterans such as Alonzo Mourning, Shaquille O'Neal, Gary Payton and Steve Smith come and go through the locker room, and watched Wade take a little bit from each. He has seen the way Wade shows confidence in and gives confidence to his young players like Mario Chalmers, the rookie point, or Daequan Cook, the second-year guard. Tuesday night those two combined to hit 11 out of 14 3-pointers, helping Wade to his total of 12 assists.

"I've also seen him have a tremendous trust in his teammates down the stretch," Haslem said. "When he was younger maybe he'd try to take it all on his shoulders."

It was telling that the Heat took a 17-11 lead in the first quarter without a point from Wade and scored 30 in the fourth quarter to hold off the Cavs without a point from Wade. He found ways to help throughout, be it stealing the ball from James or starting a fast break with a behind-the-back save.

"It takes more than just putting up points to be The Guy in this league," said Wade , who managed to score 21 on 7-for-23 shooting in between. "A lot of people say if they get the shots they can be this or that. But it takes more than that. It's on a day-to-day thing. I've got some young guys on this team. Sometimes it feels like I'm carrying my sons around, I swear. But they make it all worthwhile coming in here every day."

Now it's true that no player inspires as much awe, even among NBA peers, as LeBron James. Before the game, Cleveland teammates Ben Wallace and Delonte West were transfixed on a television showing NBA TV's "24 Hours of LeBron" in honor of James' birthday Tuesday.

Over in the other locker room, Heat players were marveling at James' attempt at a block while watching video of the teams' game on Sunday.

"You see where that (expletive) jumped from?" Mark Blount said.

Chris Quinn walked to the media center at the front of the room and hit the rewind button to watch the play again.

"That is an ath-lete," Joel Anthony said.

"That's a tight end in the NFL," Blount said.

But LeBron is now 0-3 in NBA games played on his birthday. Maybe that's a sign his birth certificate is fraudulent, that he really wasn't born Dec. 30, 1984. As anyone who's played against him can tell you, no way dude's in his early 20s. Another sign he's older than he claims: he not only could liken Heat rookie Michael Beasley to Derrick Coleman, as was common around draft time, he can accurately describe the young Coleman's style of play. Coleman entered the league in 1987.

Tuesday LeBron had his flurries and his nightly highlight dunk, but Wade was the one who kept making the plays both big, small and instructional.

Michael Beasley, the No. 2 pick in the draft, should just sit out a game and watch how Wade does it. After Beasley rolled into the lane and picked up an easy-to-call-charge, Wade faced a similar play and deftly slowed as he entered the paint, sized up the situation and passed out to an open man.

He's also mastered the best change-of-direction move since Eric Metcalf. (I bet LeBron gets that reference, too.)

Little things like that make a guy the BIW. Wade finally gets the concept -- and the acronym Riles sent him.

"I didn't know what he was talking about at first," Wade said. "He told me. I said, 'Coach, you're just biased. You're supposed to say that. If you text me and say LeBron is the best in the world, then we've got a problem.'

But is it really what Wade wants?

"Best in the world?" he said. "Be the best I can be. I'm not really worried about being the best in the world, I'm just trying to get the best out of my ability."

And trying to get the best out of his teammates, through example and words ... although he claims the conversations can go both ways.

"I feel that anybody can say something to me," Wade said. "I don't feel like I'm above anyone."

So has anyone spoken up to him?

"There hasn't really been a need yet," Wade said.

LOL.

orangejello727 said:
Too early to call MVP. Bosh is playing just as well for the raptors with MVP type numbers. So Is Lebron.

yeah but i like dwade better than both bosh and lebron

so i agree with hands on this one ;)

tim/208963

Back