Football Topps Loses Players Inc License

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Players Inc, the marketing and licensing arm of the NFL Players Association, confirmed on Monday afternoon that it will not renew Topps’ trading card license for 2010.

The move to reduce football manufacturers has been rumored for months and will take place officially when Players Inc’s current agreements with Panini, Topps and Upper Deck expire at the end of February.

Multiple attempts to contact NFL Properties regarding its plans for 2010 and beyond have so far been unsuccessful.

Players Inc’s decision to move forward with just Panini and Upper Deck comes after months of thorough investigation and evaluation of a current football card marketplace still reeling from the troubled economy. The move also represents the latest bombshell in a continued streamlining of the overall sports collectibles industry that has seemingly seen a life’s worth of monumental licensing changes in 2009 alone.

Topps officials were not immediately available for comment. Just three months ago, Topps secured a Major League Baseball Properties exclusive beginning next season.

Big mistake, in my opinion, Topps is the best brand for the NFL, keeps prices at a level both kids and adults can enjoy. Also has the best card out there (Topps Chrome). A very sad day for me, my favorite set is Topps.

Upper Deck has the worst quality and Panini still has a way to go, and neither has that much of a product keeping kids interested.

Back