Three Years in Federal Prison for Baseball Card Counterfeiter.

Mike

TP9 | VC15
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
Seems about right, could have been for a few more years as far as I'm concerned. This guy was caught selling fake Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle cards (among others) on eBay. The only really surprising thing about it is that he got taken down and sent to a place where he belongs.

He took more than $60,000 from bidders, but was ordered to pay back less than half of that. In my opinion, he should have had to pay back double. Not that a criminal like this would be able to pay even what he's been ordered to pay.

Source: http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/index.ssf/2014/09/vintage_baseball_card_scammer.html

Between the two brothers, the "payback" is $60K... but the real winner in all of this..PayPal/eBay, for the monies they received from fees. The fees total somewhere around $7K.

Between the two brothers, the "payback" is $60K... but the real winner in all of this..PayPal/eBay, for the monies they received from fees. The fees total somewhere around $7K.
I didn't notice that, thanks for pointing it out. I wonder if eBay got to keep it all, or did they have to payout for fraud claims?

I didn't notice that, thanks for pointing it out. I wonder if eBay got to keep it all, or did they have to payout for fraud claims?
My guess is paypal lost out in the whole thing because they would have to pay out the fraud claims. It seems to me, that unless these sales happened a long time ago before paypal was required by eBay...the buyers probably didn't lose anything.

My guess is paypal lost out in the whole thing because they would have to pay out the fraud claims. It seems to me, that unless these sales happened a long time ago before paypal was required by eBay...the buyers probably didn't lose anything.
Well, the buyer would need to know that it's a counterfeit and file a claim within 45 days. On the 46th day, they could care less.

Well, the buyer would need to know that it's a counterfeit and file a claim within 45 days. On the 46th day, they could care less.
That's true. I guess the "second chance" offers they sent out were probably outside of eBay too...so there goes that protection.

Back