thoughts on these useless hacks?

sliqwill

Prospect
Transactions: 1
$_57.JPG

what are your thoughts on people that make their own trading cards?

personally I have lots of ethical problems, mostly related to image misuse, ADIDAS and SEC are trademarked images, so it is copyright infringement, plus some photographer, likely NOT the guy producing the cards for profit, is having his work stolen...

plus the guy cant even spell, anyone ever seen a 'duel threat' QB? it should be DUAL threat..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Johnny-Manz...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

usually these cards are made of people who do not have a current card on the market, so they hammer out whatever they can...lots of these in the Olympic area and I think people are being tricked, but eBay doesn't care because they get their money from the sale...

Bad thing is any real collector would know not to buy this. A lot like the cards in the 90's at the flea market . The reason upper deck started the hologram deal

yes, but those were not being labeled as 1/1s and stuff, I remember when you would buy 9 card pages they had the limited edition 1 of 10000 cards but it was Griffey in a 3 piece suit, or Canseco in a tshirt, so no label/trademark infringement

Only if they are doing it for their OWN collection and DO NOT ATTEMPT to sell them ever. Not only is the custom card making thing the trading card equivalent of counterfeiting but it also can get confusing when they make those designs of "cards that never were" using real designs from the past.

I follow a lot of trading card blogs and I try to avoid the ones of "collectors" who make custom cards, although there are a few I am still following for other reasons I hate their posts on the custom crap.

On the other hand making a custom card using your own image and promoting you as a collector to use as a "business" card of sorts can be fun. Most people when they see those know they are a calling card and not a real card.

What a shame the Manziel fake sold for $40. If it was a legit card it might be worth it but not for a custom crap with spelling errors. OMFG that seller only deals in these crappy customs. Also has only been on Ebay since this January. I am boycotting that seller. Might even report some of the sales.

Seller is calling the cards "Original" (well I guess since it isn't a "reprint"), but no mention of manufacture or that it is a "custom" card. I would think people looking at them could tell, but some either don't know the difference or don't care.

Back