Racing The Difference Between "Asking For" and "Selling For" on eBay

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
In case you ever wonder about "okay, the guy is asking this much, but how much did it really sell for...", check out this Kyle Larson Printing Plate that was offered on the 'Bay.

The original posting with a "Buy It Now" price:

Larson 1.jpg

And the "Sold For" after the owner listed it as an auction:

Larson 2.jpg

I think we are seeing this more and more in the era of cards with very low SPs. The card companies have figured out they will get more interest in their product if they issue a card with 5 versions each /10 than they will with 1 version /50.

Sellers have also gotten into this game by trying to ask crazy prices for cards in the hopes that someone who really "needs" that card bad enough for their PC will pay an inflated price. This example seems really extreme to me...but it doesn't surprise me.

Here's an example from my collection (maybe I will make it my weekly card post). I have a 2006 Upper Deck AFL card in my collection that is a triple auto. It's signed by Tony Graziani, John Dutton, and Aaron Garcia. All 3 were standout Arena League QBs of their era...but it's still the Arena League. The card is an SP...6/10. It's a sticker auto card...so I'm sure each player just signed several sheets of stickers and UD used them for their single, dual and this triple auto card.

Anyway, I think I paid $80 for this card back in 2011 on a Buy It Now. That probably seems crazy to most collectors. $80 for three "nobody" sticker autographs from a low tier league. However, I have a Tony Graziani PC. He's my favorite college player and this is his second lowest print run card (next his sole 1/1...which I hope to one day own). I think I'm missing 5 Graziani cards in my collection.

Sellers know that some people will pay outrageous prices for cards of "their guy" if the card is rare enough. I think this is an example of that.

Back