Football T.O. GONE from Dallas

HiEnd

Bench Warmer
Citing "two sources," ESPN's Michael Smith reports that the Cowboys have released Terrell Owens.

While his $3.1M roster bonus wasn't due until June, Dallas ultimately decided that T.O.'s locker-room politics outweighed arguably being the team's best offensive player. The move causes a $680,000K cap hit, but saves Jerry Jones $5.77M in cash. T.O. has a lot left -- he averaged 18.9 yards a catch and scored five TDs in the Cowboys' last eight games -- and may draw interest from the Raiders, Redskins, Jets, and Broncos. Receiver-needy teams almost certain to pass include Chicago, Philadelphia, and Miami. Mar. 5 - 12:06 am et

REPORT: COWBOYS RELEASE TERRELL OWENS
Posted by Aaron Wilson on March 5, 2009, 12:17 a.m.
The Dallas Cowboys cut star wide receiver Terrell Owens tonight, according to Michael Smith of ESPN.com.

ESPN has a breaking news item on the front page of its Web site.

The report cites two sources, per the Cowboys blog on the Dallas Morning News.

In late February, Cowboys team owner Jerry Jones issued this comment when asked about Owens’ possible release: “That [Cowboys vice president and Jones’ son] Stephen [Jones] and I were debating about Terrell, that’s just misinformation. That’s just not accurate. I don’t know where that comes from. That’s just total misinformation.”

The Cowboys’ official Web site still lists Owens on the roster. According to NFL.com, Owens had 69 receptions for 1,052 yards and 10 touchdowns last season.

UPDATE I: Citing sources, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram has confirmed ESPN’s report that the Cowboys have released Owens.

Per the Star-Telegram, Owens, 35, was paid a $12 million signing bonus last year. It was a portion of his $34 million contract.

Updating the newspaper’s initial report, Clarence Hill of the Star-Telegram writes that “petulant and controversial receiver Terrell Owens is no longer a member of the Dallas Cowboys.”

The article references Owens’ run-ins with quarterback Tony Romo, tight end Jason Witten and offensive coordinator Jason Garrett.

According to the report, Owens’ release creates $9.675 million in dead money and notes that the Cowboys lose just $680,000 in cap space.

On June 1, Owens was due a $3.1 million roster bonus

UPDATE II: Now, Calvin Watkins of the Dallas Morning News has confirmed that Owens has been cut, citing a source.

Watkins reports that team officials told Owens tonight that they “had decided to go in a different direction,” adding that “multiple sources” said that Owens’ potential exit had been under discussion for several days.

Apparently, the final decision to take this action wasn’t made until Wednesday night.

Watkins reports that agent Drew Rosenhaus, who represents Owens, and Owens didn’t return telephone calls.

UPDATE III: Jay Glazer of FOXSports.com has also confirmed the reports, citing Cowboys sources, and writes that the transaction “seems to fit with the Cowboys’ plan to have a more harmonious locker room for 2009.”

Glazer pointed out that Owens told the Dallas Morning News in May last year that he wanted to conclude his career with the Cowboys.

they are idiots, he is the most dominant receiver in the league, i wish miami would pick him up.actually i retract that statement, fitzgerald is, but owens is awesome on the field, maybe tell romo to quit being a crybaby and using owens as a skapegoat . romo was horrible down the stretch last year, i know i had him on my fantasy team. philly did the same thing and are still looking for that receiver to fill those shoes, mcnabb had his best year when owens was there, stop pampering the QB's.i actually thought owens was a pretty good boy in dallas, besides the 1 **** up last season that involved witten and it seemed they made up like good little boys. these players take so much for granted , they get paid millions of dollars to play a game and all because god gave them talent and they were born with the genetics to be superfreakish in size and speed. and the rest of us sit here and dream about what it would be like to be able to play our favorite pro sport and on top of that just make 10 % of what they do. i guess with owens track record , it was only a matter of time, i just think you have to take the bad with the good when it comes to him and deal with the off the field stuff and reap the rewards of the on the field things he brings.

All I Am Saying Is Just Think About Owens On 1 Side And Roy Williams On The Other, Teams Are Double Teaming Owens Side ,so It Really Comes Down To Romo Being Able To Get The Ball To Witten And Roy Williams, And If And I Say If , He Can Do That ,with The Running Game They Have, Who Could Stop That Offense?

Word is, that the Raiders are the front runners to pick him up. If that happens, it will last a year or two, then he will wear out his welcome in Oakland, and the saga continues.

Back