Basketball Stockton, Sloan voted into Hall of Fame

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Former Utah Jazz point guard John Stockton, the NBA's all-time leader in assists and steals, and current Jazz coach Jerry Sloan have been voted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, the Salt Lake Tribune reported Saturday.

Sloan and Stockton, a 10-time All-Star, join a class expected to include Michael Jordan, who beat Sloan's and Stockton's Jazz in two NBA Finals.

According to media reports, former San Antonio Spurs center David Robinson and Rutgers women's coach C. Vivian Stringer have also been voted into the Hall.

The official announcement of this year's inductees will be made Monday at the NCAA Final Four in Detroit.

"I don't know how I'm going to feel -- make or miss," Stockton said about the prospect of induction earlier this week, according to the Tribune. "As things came along throughout my career, I always tried to take them as they came -- the good and the bad.

"I guess this fits into that category. I'm not sitting here waiting for a phone call. I'm not hoping or praying," Stockton added, according to the newspaper. "[Induction] doesn't have a lot of meaning in the present. If that time comes, I may say a whole different thing. But that's my approach right now."

Sloan, 67, the longest tenured coach in American pro sports, took a break from the Jazz this week to attend the funeral in Illinois of his 80-year-old brother, Buck, who died Tuesday.

The Hall's 16 finalists were announced Feb. 13. They also included NBA coach Don Nelson, former NBA stars Dennis Johnson, Chris Mullin and Bernard King, and two-time WNBA MVP Cynthia Cooper.

Back