State of the hobby

ricky_mn

Prospect
Transactions: 8
So I took a half a year break from buying cards but what I've noticed since I've been back eBay has changed for the worst before sellers would list damage on cards to let you know what you were buying those days are long gone now you can list the card in very good condition you can hide any damage on the card by putting it at whatever angle you want to take a photo of and when your card shows up damaged you don't have a leg to stand on because listing their card in a very good condition covers a wide variety of damage to the card that they don't need to disclose I was burnt so many times this month on cards. But what really gets me is the sellers thereselfs eBay has become just a toxic place for buyers I literally had 2 cards show up today totally damaged one was a game used Hall of famer number to 25 and I was told by the seller that I shouldn't even be contacting him I should be bringing it up with the post office he totally refuses to give any sort of refund for his packing job and I'm supposed to file a claim with the post office. The second seller listed the card in mint condition put it in the top sleeve with a penny sleeve stood the card straight up and down in the photo so you couldn't see all the surface damage and staining on the front of the card and was literally told by the seller that this was my fault I was dumbfounded how have the hobby gone straight into the garbage in a few months I'm at the point now I don't even argue with them I just leave neutral feedback exposing what they're doing so the rest of the people can watch for this stuff has anyone else came across this issue when buying cards on eBay recently what are your thoughts

Because with them listing the card in VG condition it covers a long list of damage they can hide in there photos so when they put a picture up and make sure the crease is not in the photo and you call them out when you buy the card they're just like yeah it was covered under the condition I listed I don't have to list the crease.VG condition covers creases in a whole list of other possible damage so technically their description is not wrong they're just hiding the fact the card damage but listing i in vg covers all the damage it's a real nice way screw people so basically it's a crapshoot if a card is listed in VG condition it's a grab bag cuz you don't know if it's going to show up with surface issues, that you can't see creases you can't see you're pretty much buying blind and if you leave a negative feedback eBay's going to find in their favor because they listed it accordingly and they can just reverse the negative feedback neutral feedback they won't reverse

The best one I came across recently was the guy was selling a Hall of Fame relic numbered to 25 with free shipping he had tons of feedback all positive so I took a chance I bought it it was pretty cheap I was pretty excited that I got it so cheap until it showed up in a plain white envelope with creases all over it upon reaching out to the seller and showing him the damage and asking him why he ever thought it was okay the ship it in a unprotected plain white envelope his response was you're not getting a refund for me I mailed it in mint condition if it showed up to you damaged you need to go talk and make a claim with the post office

Back