Football Sources: Raiders look to release CB Hall

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Angered by the Oakland Raiders' 2-6 start, team owner Al Davis asked his front office staff to explore the possibility of releasing several players, including cornerback DeAngelo Hall, according to multiple sources.

The Raiders are expected to release Hall on Wednesday, sources told ESPN's Michael Smith.

The process started on Monday, a day after the Raiders' embarrassing 24-0 loss to the Atlanta Falcons. Davis, looking ahead to rest of the season and to 2009, asked his staff to study a list of potential players who could be let go before the end of the week or after the season, sources said.

One source said the list included more than a dozen names. The Raiders' front-office staff studied the cap consequences of releasing high-priced veteran players. He also wanted his staff to see if other teams might claim any of these players on waivers.

The team was planning on making the move to release Hall on Tuesday before holding off, according to NFL.com. The Raiders have paid Hall $8 million for eight games, and also gave Atlanta a second-round pick for his services.

NFL.com reported the move to waive him now helps the Raiders avoid paying Hall $16 million worth of injury-guaranteed bonuses in his contract.

Hall has 48 tackles and three interceptions for the Raiders, including a season-high eight tackles last week against the Falcons.

Hall isn't the only Raider under consideration for release. Wide receiver Javon Walker received an $11 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary this year, but he has only 13 catches in his first seven games with the Raiders. The other players on Davis' list are unknown.

At his Monday press conference, interim Raiders coach Tom Cable said he was thinking of making more changes in the starting lineup. Since taking over for Lane Kiffin, Cable has benched wide receiver Ronald Curry and safety Michael Huff. If Davis gets his way, some changes might be permanent.

Raiders release CB Hall after eight games

Raiders cornerback DeAngelo Hall was the first player released by team owner Al Davis on Wednesday, a move expected to trigger a major shakeup of Oakland's roster.

Angered by the Raiders' 2-6 start, Davis asked his front-office staff to explore the possibility of releasing several players. By releasing Hall, who was acquired from Atlanta before this season, the Raiders are washing their hands of a seven-year, $72 million contract after only eight games.

"I've never been in a situation where you cut one of the best players," said safety Gibril Wilson, another of the team's offseason acquisitions. "That's strange to me. It's almost like we're throwing in the towel."

Hall was paid $8 million for eight games; he received a $7 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary. Because he's a vested veteran, his $1 million salary is guaranteed. Atlanta received second- and fifth-round draft picks in the trade with Oakland.

According to a source, the Raiders asked Hall if he would consider restructuring his contract. Hall declined and then was notified of his release. Oakland is expected to make an announcement prior to practice Wednesday.

The Raiders are not expected to make additional roster moves before Thursday.

Hall was supposed to form one of the top cornerback duos in the league with Nnamdi Asomugha but struggled from the start of the season as he adjusted to the Raiders' man-to-man defense.

Hall had shown signs of improvement in recent weeks, but Raiders management began examining the roster Monday, a day after the team's embarrassing 24-0 loss to the Falcons. Davis, looking ahead to the rest of the season and to 2009, asked his staff to study a list of potential players who could be let go before the end of the week or after the season, sources said.

One source said the list included more than a dozen names. The front-office staff studied the salary-cap consequences of releasing high-priced veteran players. Davis also wanted his staff to see if other teams might claim any of these players on waivers.

Also under consideration to be let go is wide receiver Javon Walker, who received an $11 million signing bonus and a $1 million base salary this year but has only 13 catches in his first seven games. The other players on Davis' list are unknown.

"I'm obviously disappointed," Asomugha said. "I don't agree with what happened. I don't agree with what's going on. But I am just a player so I can't speak on it. I don't make the decisions. All I can do is play but I don't agree with what happened at all."

Asomugha said the recent moves have led to some players being tentative on the field, afraid that they could be next to lose their starting job or spot on the team.

"There's been some things that have been going on, some shakeups, that I haven't agreed with," Asomugha said. "Like I said, I'm not allowed to speak on it because we're just supposed to shut up and play. But you ask me if I agree with it? I don't agree with it."

At his Monday news conference, interim Raiders coach Tom Cable said he was thinking of making more changes in the starting lineup. Since taking over for Lane Kiffin, Cable has benched receiver Ronald Curry and safety Michael Huff.

"When you look at the consistency and the play and those sorts of things, it was just the decision we felt was right for this football team," Cable said. "We did not want to stay where we're at. Felt like that was very important that we don't do that, that we move forward and that was the decision that was made."

Hall does not have a skills guarantee for 2009, so the Raiders will not owe him a $9.05 million option bonus for the final six years of the deal. Hall also won't receive the $7.5 million base salary he was scheduled to make in 2009.

"When you're losing there's a lot of finger pointing," Asomugha said. "I don't think he's the one scapegoat. There's fingers pointed everywhere. I don't think it's just him. He was kind of singled out in regards of let's cut someone."

Former Raiders cornerback Hall clears waivers

Former Raiders cornerback DeAngelo Hall cleared waivers, making him a free agent and eligible to sign with any team.

By clearing waivers, Hall won't receive the remaining six years and $64 million of his seven-year, $72 million contract, but he is free to negotiate with any team. The Raiders cut him on Wednesday.

According to his agent, Alvin Keels, Hall has been contacted by approximately 15 teams. Over the weekend, Hall will pick the teams he believes will make the best fit and make visits next week. He would like to find a situation in which he could be with a winning team and a team willing to make a long-term commitment.

CB Hall reaches 1-year deal with Redskins

Even though DeAngelo Hall wanted to take the weekend to consider 15 or more scenarios for a new team, the cornerback decided Friday to accept a one-year deal from the Washington Redskins, according to his co-agents, Joel Segal and Alvin Keels.

According to a source, Hall agreed to a one-year deal that is worth $492,000 for the remainder of the season, the prorated portion of his $1 million base salary that he would have received from the Oakland Raiders.

"He's excited to be coming home, he's a Virginia Tech guy," Segal told The Associated Press.

The Raiders released Hall on Wednesday, eight games into a seven-year, $72 million contract.

He walked away with $8 million this year and a chance to sign with a new team.

The New England Patriots, New Orleans Saints and Pittsburgh Steelers were among the teams aggressively recruiting Hall.

A source close to the Redskins said Hall spoke with Redskins coach Jim Zorn and some of Zorn's assistants before accepting a contract, and that team owner Daniel Snyder met with defensive captains London Fletcher and Cornelius Griffin to gauge their opinion of the move.

The Redskins are on a bye, so Hall won't make his first appearance in a Redskins uniform until Nov. 16, when Washington plays the Dallas Cowboys.

But Hall did struggle in coverage early in the season; he had shown signs of improvement in recent weeks, but was let go anyway following a 24-0 loss to the Atlanta Falcons that dropped Oakland to 2-6 on the season. In his eight games in Oakland, Hall was beaten 40 times for 552 yards on 66 passes thrown his way, according to data compiled by STATS. He gave up more yards than any defender this season and was tied for third worst in catches allowed.

Back