Sometimes eBay Sellers Just Rub Me the Wrong Way

CamaroDMD

Insert Cool Title
Maybe I am being overly sensitive, but every now and again I see an eBay auction that just irritates me in how it is presented. Here is a great example I came across today:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1952-TOPPS-...1310332634?pt=US_Baseball&hash=item35db2b92da

This is the 1952 Topps Ned Garver...it's actually one of my favorite cards in the 1952 set. I love the pose and I love the St. Louis Browns uniform. So, I have been looking for a nicely centered example for my set (clearly, this is not it).

Anyway, I noticed that this card is advertised as a "HIGH number" card...which is a blatant lie. High number...when it comes to 1952 Topps are cards that are part of the last series (Series 6). This is an accepted fact with this set, there really isn't any argument to that. A large percentage of the 6th series were destroyed which results in them having much higher prices. "High Number" cards (or sixth series) cards for 1952 is #311-407 only.

This card is #212 which puts it right in the middle of the fourth series...which is the second easiest series to complete.

Maybe I am just over sensitive because I love the 1952 set...but I feel like at best this is false advertising and at worst a bald-faced lie.

not sure what you are upset about... the number IS higher than 100... so... lol

I understand what you are saying, but "flippers" don't always have the knowledge that is needed when dealing with cards, coins, stamps, antiques, etc.

That's one of those auctions that if I really wanted to get the card, I'd bid what I think it's worth -$3.00, and not pay any attention to whatever he's written in the description. Just making sure the card is genuine, and it's in a PSA slab so that all looks kosher to me.

I understand what you are saying, but "flippers" don't always have the knowledge that is needed when dealing with cards, coins, stamps, antiques, etc.
I agree...but the seller clearly knows that there is some significance to being a "high number" card. So, they at least have some knowledge.

That's one of those auctions that if I really wanted to get the card, I'd bid what I think it's worth -$3.00, and not pay any attention to whatever he's written in the description. Just making sure the card is genuine, and it's in a PSA slab so that all looks kosher to me.
If I was interested in this example, I too would bid what I think the card is worth. In this case, somewhere in the $15-$20 range. But, I still feel that this card is not being advertised in a totally true way...accidental or not. That said, this card has the typical poor centering of the series and I am trying to be somewhat picky about that so I am going to pass on this one.

We all want that "perfect" card for the PC (although NASCAR collectors are not quite as picky)... but if you can pick up a "filler" card, at a decent price, why not?

We all want that "perfect" card for the PC (although NASCAR collectors are not quite as picky)... but if you can pick up a "filler" card, at a decent price, why not?
In this case, this is a pretty common card and better centered one's can be found for nearly the same price. If it was a really hard one to find, I probably would pick it up.

It's also a little easier for me with this project right now too. I don't have that many, I think I only have around a dozen of these cards so far. So, I just search for well centered examples and pickup what I find. As the "needs list" gets smaller it will likely become more challenging.

Seems this is more and more common. The main thing is that you know about the set and how it breaks down which is great. In my case I have zero clue on the set you have to take what the seller states as fact. So yes it is wrong to not have the correct info on the description but just remember caveat emptor .

For those that will question it...

Caveat emptor /ˌkæviːɑːt ˈɛmptɔr/ is Latin for "Let the buyer beware"

Okay.. I'll admit it.. I googled it! lol

Seems this is more and more common. The main thing is that you know about the set and how it breaks down which is great. In my case I have zero clue on the set you have to take what the seller states as fact. So yes it is wrong to not have the correct info on the description but just remember caveat emptor .
You are absolutely right...one must do their homework if they expect not to get burned. When I started collecting this set over a year ago...even though I knew my initial budget was small, I still didn't start buying until I had done a ton of research into it. I don't understand why I would collect something that I didn't know about...but a lot of people do.

That said, I try in my business dealings to always be 100% upfront and honest. I will admit, I don't make the most money in my line of work (right now I'm not making much at all because my business is small)...but I believe honesty and treating people right in the long run pays out. You get a good reputation and grow as a business person...at least that's what I am hoping.

Back