So this guy is saying the sports card market is dead

Mike

TP9 | VC15
Transactions
5.00 star(s)
He's saying the market for sports cards is dead because Martin St. Louis cards didn't go up in value. Well, I can see that the market is in a slump, that's not news to any of us. But, I don't know about his argument that Martin St. Louis cards should go up in value just because he got traded. When he got the MVP, yea, I can see that making the value go up.

http://www.rawcharge.com/2014/5/20/...lued-martin-st-louis-upper-deck-234-1998-1999

Well my 1989 Donruss Rated RC Steve Searcy card hasn't gone up at all and he has been traded or signed with several different teams, winning as many as 6 games in one year for one of them ...so yeah...

He's saying the market for sports cards is dead because Martin St. Louis cards didn't go up in value. Well, I can see that the market is in a slump, that's not news to any of us. But, I don't know about his argument that Martin St. Louis cards should go up in value just because he got traded. When he got the MVP, yea, I can see that making the value go up.

http://www.rawcharge.com/2014/5/20/...lued-martin-st-louis-upper-deck-234-1998-1999
I would agree that the market has been in a slump for a number of years in general...and I don't see that changing in the near future. That said, you can't take a sample size of one and use that as evidence to make your point. It's too easy to manipulate.

I could write an article and make the claim that the sports card market is booming and use the price of Andrew Luck cards as my argument for that. Just because that one player is selling well isn't indicative of the hobby.

Furthermore, it all depends on the set. He isn't talking about Martin St. Louis cards...he's speaking only of HIS 1998-99 Upper Deck Martin St. Louis. 1998-99 UD was one of those 1990s highly overproduced sets. I have a massive Joe Montana collection from his playing days and many of my cards are just like this one...not worth anything because the supply is so high.

Back