Sad when UD calls you and says "take down your eBay sale"

ranbethscards

NASCAR products are back baby!!!!! oh yeah!
Saw this on another site... not posting all the replies, etc., but posting the originators threads... and mine asking why.

Someone from Upper Deck called me today and asked me to remove my 14-15 Ultra cards listed on ebay.

I didn't give him any trouble, but I feel kind of violated that Ebay would just give my home phone number and info to Upper deck.

It's not like they are the government or anything, they are a private corporation and it's not my fault that Walmart had the cards out early and I bought them.

I took the listings right down, because I understand their dilemma, but at the same time, I think more than just a heartfelt "thanks" should be in order. The guy just said thanks and hung up. I would think that after basically intruding on my right to privacy by strong arming ebay into giving away my home phone number, he would have at least asked me for my address to send some kind of care package to make up for the trouble. I mean, all I did was buy their product at the local retail store and then post it on the secondary market.

Should it really be my problem that they don't have all of their ducks in a row and can't control their distributors?
UPDATE:

Upper Deck Phoned back and to thank me for my help with this. Asked me what they could do for me. I gave them a list of players and we'll see what develops.

The gentleman I spoke with on the phone was incredibly helpful and easy to deal with.

I'll keep you guys updated if and when something arrives.
Apparently, you can request the info on any person whose Items you have a bid on.

I got an email from Ebay notifying me that they gave my info to someone, and in return providing me with the contact info of the other party, in this case upper deck. It was in my spam folder so I didn't catch it right away.
Sorry, I forgot to even mention it in the original post.

The release date is Sept 27, Somebody jumped the gun and put them on the shelves early.

MY RESPONSE:
So, bottom line is... THE RETAILER PUT THE PRODUCT ON THE SHELF BEFORE THE RELEASE DATE.

um.. wait... how can UD tell a major retailer, such as Wal-Mart, that you CANNOT put this item on your shelf for another 10 days...

If anyone should be blamed for this debacle it should be the Shipping Department at UD. Seems to me with shipping times and delivery expectations, the product was sent out two weeks in advance?

Now, with that being said, I have to ask... did you get the person's name (from UD)? Do you have caller ID and can verify that the number calling was from UD? Did you ask for a number so that you could call back and verify it was UD you were talking too?

Okay, it sounds like the originator of the thread was looking for a hand-out from UD (why mention it, not once, but twice, if you were not looking for a freebie?), which he apparently will get, but I find this whole scenario hard to believe.

It seems to me that UD has little recourse to force the seller to do anything. Wal-Mart messed up and sold the product early...it was their mistake and any "issue" UD has should be with them. It shouldn't have happened, retailers have to regularly deal with release dates (this is always the case with video games and movies and they normally receive the merchandise well in advance so they have it on the release date). This is a major Wal-Mart screw up and any problems should be on them IMHO.

I suggested to the member to he put the items back up for sale, which caused a few members to point their finger at me and say that the advice I was giving was NOT smart.

But then, the originator of the thread posted this:
ACTUALLY.....

Upper deck admitted to me that if I had decided to leave the listings on ebay, there is legally nothing they could have done about it.

and... when a member suggested he look into legal action because of Upper Deck's demand, he posted:
Yeah, I'm not the litigious type. I am sure it is covered somewhere in the ebay terms and conditions.

anyways, upper deck says that they'll be sending me something to say thanks, so I'm ok with it.

Crossing my fingers for something nice for the PC.

hmmmm... didn't I say this in the original thread:
Okay, it sounds like the originator of the thread was looking for a hand-out from UD...

I think it's just the state of the hobby. Companies like UD set the tone for things like this to happen. This guy saw an opportunity for profit, jumped on it, then UD objected and he thought he should be compensated for a lost opportunity. I wouldn't hold anything against the guy for that, pursuing an opportunity for profit is the American way after all. He could have certainly shown more tact in trying to get something out of UD, for sure, but he did do them a favor by pulling his auction and it probably is going to cost him some $$$.

but he did do them a favor by pulling his auction and it probably is going to cost him some $$$.
It might have...but then again it might not. If I saw a product for sale on eBay that I knew wasn't variable until next week...I would be skeptical for sure as to it's authenticity. I wonder if that fact alone would drive down buyers. On one hand...you get the item before anyone else, on the other...are you sure it's real.

Back