Football Report: Jets to ink Law, play DB Thursday vs. Pats

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Talk about getting thrown into the fire.

Defensive back Ty Law agreed to a one-year deal with the New York Jets on Monday and is set to play Thursday night against the Patriots.

NFL.com first reported the deal, which is pending a physical.

At least Law has familiarity on his side. He played from 1995-2004 in New England before spending the 2005 season with the Jets. Law worked with current Jets coach Eric Mangini in New England. Mangini was the defensive backs coach from 2000-04 before taking over the Jets in 2006.

Law was with the Chiefs the past two seasons but became a free agent at the end of the year.

"This is going to be different playing Thursday night against the Patriots, matching up against my former team and the players I'm used to practicing against," Law said from Boston, according to NFL.com. "I know they're going to throw at me, but I welcome the challenge -- bring it. I got the tricks for you."

Law is a five-time Pro Bowler who has 52 career interceptions. NFL.com reported that the Patriots had also been in contact with Law, trying to bring him back.

"I just feel better about this and the direction this team is going and how they welcomed me," Law said, according to the Web site. "I wanted to be somewhere I wanted."

Law told NFL.com that the Jets will use him at cornerback, his normal position, as well as safety.

Law passes physical, practices with Jets

Ty Law is back in a New York Jets uniform, practicing with the team after passing a physical and signing a one-year deal.

Law practiced for the first time Tuesday. Coach Eric Mangini says "there's definitely a chance" Law could play Thursday against the New England Patriots.

The five-time Pro Bowl cornerback agreed Monday night to rejoin the team he played with in 2005, when he had a career-high 10 interceptions. The 34-year-old spent the last two seasons with Kansas City but sat out the first 10 weeks as a free agent. He played with the Patriots during his first 10 seasons.

The Jets released cornerback Justin Miller, a Pro Bowl kick returner in 2006, to make room for Law.

At least Law has familiarity on his side. He played from 1995-2004 in New England before spending the 2005 season with the Jets. Law worked with current Jets coach Eric Mangini in New England. Mangini was the defensive backs coach from 2000-04 before taking over the Jets in 2006.

Back