Pricing Question

Fitzythird

Bench Warmer
I am looking over all these cards and picking out what I think are interesting ones. When I go to ebay, or on line pricing guides, the prices are all over the place!

95% of the cards I have are in great shape. No bends, tears, marks etc. Many are in toploaders and have been there since day one. So while I am hesitant to use the word "mint", the ones I have been checking out are pretty darn close.

The Frank Thomas card I was looking at is advertised at $64.00 on ebay, and then on down to 4 bucks. A free online pricing guide has it at $1.63?? If I were to sell it....and it is in good shape, what the heck do I ask?

I really want to sell off the collection, for cash. That said, I am also interested in starting a NASCAR collection. I am seeking advice in balancing this out a bit and come up with a logical approach to perhaps sell some for cash and maybe trade some here for NASCAR?

I know these are all Rookie Questions, which is why I placed this post here. Any advice is appreciated.

(Moved this to the card chat forum).

First...STAY AWAY from FREE on-line pricing... it is so out-of-date that you can't trust it.

Buy yourself a Beckett Magazine for pricing on a group of cards. If you need pricing on one or two cards or a few (let's say less than 10) we have a "What's the worth" Forum that you can post the card(s) in.

I have a Beckett Baseball OPG and can look up a few cards from time to time.

Thanks fellas! I evidently have a problem with forum placement Randy....I'll catch on....Really appreciate the help from both!

Is it possible to view the Beckett listing online or is it purely a print-only publication? Do they have like an online membership or anything like that?

I am looking over all these cards and picking out what I think are interesting ones. When I go to ebay, or on line pricing guides, the prices are all over the place!

95% of the cards I have are in great shape. No bends, tears, marks etc. Many are in toploaders and have been there since day one. So while I am hesitant to use the word "mint", the ones I have been checking out are pretty darn close.

The Frank Thomas card I was looking at is advertised at $64.00 on ebay, and then on down to 4 bucks. A free online pricing guide has it at $1.63?? If I were to sell it....and it is in good shape, what the heck do I ask?

I really want to sell off the collection, for cash. That said, I am also interested in starting a NASCAR collection. I am seeking advice in balancing this out a bit and come up with a logical approach to perhaps sell some for cash and maybe trade some here for NASCAR?

I know these are all Rookie Questions, which is why I placed this post here. Any advice is appreciated.
This pricing aspect is confusing to me, too. I try to think how much I would pay for a certain card and wing it! My husband says that is not wise. I guess I am tired of moving these cards around and have no kids into Michael Jordan! What to do!

Right now I do have on-line subscriptions to NASCAR and baseball. I usually purchase these two about a month or two before my next card show. So, if you need help with pricing, don't be afraid to post it in the "what's it worth" forum. There are several of us that have the on-line service or a current Beckett magazine.

All we ask is you don't send a long list of cards to look up... usually the number of cards is ten (10) or less.

Back