Paypal Dispute - -

LionRyan

Bench Warmer
I'm a pretty experienced seller on Amazon, but in just the past couple of months I've started using EBAY to sell some stuff. Any advice would be nice!

So I sell a used cell phone on ebay. I get payment August 12, I allow for 3 business days of handling, which means I ship item on Monday, August 17th. (THU - FRI - MON).

I get a ebay question on August 14, asking if I've shipped yet. I explain that I'll ship Monday.

Today, I get an e-mail telling me I have a disputed paypal case. Here's what he put: "havent heard if he has shipped the phone or not?"

What a bunch of nonsense!

Here's my reply

You sent me a message through EBAY, on AUGUST 14th asking me if the item had been shipped yet. On the SAME DAY, I replied with the following EBAY message:

"Dear donterror,

Orders will normally ship 3 BUSINESS days after payment is received. I received your payment on August 12th. That puts the shipping date at August 17th. I'm going to try and make it to the Post Office, tomorrow (Saturday) to get the phone to you. I know how much it sucks sitting around, waiting for a new phone to show up. :)

- myanrellick"

Holding a paypal payment in this case is unacceptable. Not only did you NOT WAIT UNTIL AFTER THE 3 BUSINESS DAYS FOR HANDLING to ask about the item, you didn't check your messages for a follow-up to the question. You agreed to the purchase on e-bay under the following parameter: "Will usually ship within 3 business days of receiving cleared payment." I did exactly that; the item was shipped on MONDAY, AUGUST 17th. And here's a tracking number with UPS: 1ZR433R40383691646

My question now is, what happens next?

only thing is you can not file a dispute till the 8th day after payment(paypal does not allow buisness days) so as long as you used dc you are fine. For the record I file disputes all the time on the 8th day. Nothing should take that long unless overseas

His reply:

the 15th was a saturday i purchased it the phone on the 12th plus 3 days its the 15th not the 17th. sorry if you couldnt ship it on saturday you should of shipped it on friday? and i havent received no emails from you with no info about my package.

my reply:

Saturday is not a regular business day.
THU is day one.
FRI is day two.
SAT/SUN are not business days.
MON is day three.

Regardless, your phone is in the mail, you have a tracking number. Check your EBAY messages, I replied to your question.

Guy will leave you a neg . Some people are complete jerks on ebay. Did he pay alot for the phone? Weird how that package is taking a cross country trip .

contact ebay for harassment...what a toolbelt, you will probabaly get less than stellar feedback, so check in advance for what you can do in efforts to get it removed...

i ship everything same/next day of payment, got me a scale, so its nice and easy

He paid $74.00 DLVD.

I honestly don't care too much what he has to say as far as feedback goes, I sell so infrequently, pretty much to cleanout the closets and stuff.

More conversation:

From Seller
8/19/2009 12:34 PDT
I'm unsure of what you want at this point, this dispute should be closed.

From Buyer - jose martinez
8/19/2009 13:47 PDT
i will close when i get the phone and inspected to see if it works. sorry

From Seller
8/19/2009 14:47 PDT
You understand that's not how shopping on EBAY works, right? You pay for the item, you get the item. You don't get to keep the seller in limbo because you're concerned it won't function. If it doesn't function, you address the issue then. The item works (as described in the auction), and comes with the items described in the auction (including a couple of accessories I threw in there I didn't list).

Should I escalate this dispute to paypal?

Last edited by a moderator:
just to be devils advocate I understand his point too. he only gets one bite of the apple on dispute. If he did not make sure it worked he could not reopen a new claim. One shot thats it with paypal. I always wait to leave feedback on electronics till I make sure they work ir on sprting events making sure the tickets are not duplicates or fake.

eBay's entire system is set up to protect the buyer and shaft the seller. I am not sure why anyone uses it other than the fact that it was once a decent auction site and it's previously earned reputation is why it remains a heavy traffic site. I stopped selling on there a few years back and would gladly take my buying business elsewhere if anyone else came along and ate their lunch for seller listings.

just to be devils advocate I understand his point too. he only gets one bite of the apple on dispute. If he did not make sure it worked he could not reopen a new claim. One shot thats it with paypal. I always wait to leave feedback on electronics till I make sure they work ir on sprting events making sure the tickets are not duplicates or fake.

Maybe...he shouldn't have opened one in the first place...?

Back