Basketball Nocioni suspected of drunken driving

GotGibson?

Bench Warmer
Sacramento Kings forward Andres Nocioni was arrested early Thursday on suspicion of drunk driving.

"I want to apologize to the Kings organization, my teammates, my coaches, the fans, the city of Sacramento and my family," Nocioni said in a statement. "Drinking and driving is something that shouldn't be taken lightly. I made a mistake and I'm very sorry for my lapse in judgment."

Nocioni was booked into the Sacramento County jail at 3:26 a.m. PST Thursday and released later in the day.

Sacramento police Sgt. Norm Leong said Nocioni was pulled over around 2 a.m. in downtown Sacramento when an officer noticed his car weaving. The officer noticed an odor of alcohol and conducted a field test before booking Nocioni on suspicion of driving under the influence.

The team said it was disappointed in Nocioni's "poor judgment" and would wait for the league to decide on potential discipline.

"He has apologized to the organization and his teammates," president of basketball operations Geoff Petrie said. "We will wait for the outcome of the judicial process and the NBA's decision on potential fines and or suspension. This experience now becomes a life lesson learned the hard way."

The arrest came hours after the Kings lost a home game to the Atlanta Hawks, 113-105, on Wednesday night. Nocioni had 14 points and six rebounds in the game. He is averaging 9.8 points and 3.8 rebounds per game this season.

On Thursday, the Kings also placed swingman Desmond Mason on waivers. Mason averaged 2.6 points and 2.6 rebounds per game this season.

Back